Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbergie

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Calgary
bbergie said:
So, any other iWeb pages out there? I thought this thread would have exploded by now. :)

I'm curious to know if anyone is experiencing the same problem I have been lately. That is, publishing my blog always ends with an error message. While my updates do in fact get published to my site, the site organizer in iWeb continues to display my latest entries in the colour red, rather than blue. It's proving to be nothing more than a mild annoyance, but it is a problem I'd like to resolve nonetheless. It started after I downloaded the latest iWeb update from Software Update. Any suggestions? Am I alone in experiencing this?

Here's a screenshot in case this is helpful.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 129

bbergie

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Calgary
Hi WillMaK;

You can save your work in iWeb to a folder, which is ideal for putting your webpage onto another server––rather than using web.mac.com/etc. I don't know for sure if geocities could accommodate this––in fact I am doubtful––but like anything else, it's worth a try. Let me know how you make out.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Any website that you have the ability to upload your own files to, iWeb can publish to. By saving your site to a folder, then you manually upload the contents of the folder to your website.

For example, I also use iWeb to publish a website to my computer's built-in web server. (I publish to ~/Sites)

edit: In fact, here you go! My iWeb-created Geocities site. With a free Geocities account, you have to use their gawd-awful web-based 'File Manager' to upload, but if you subscribe to the paid services, apparently you can use FTP. (So you can mount it as a network drive, and drag-and-drop.) (Hrm, for some reason, it doesn't like my 'Images' subfolder. It shows it correctly in the file manager, but even if I click 'view' on a file from File Manager, it says it can't find it... Maybe a server problem that will resolve itself sooner or later.)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
ehurtley said:
Preparing to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Sorry 'bout that.

ha! well you sure have a lot of computers there. i wish i had the money and patience to keep my computers.....but for some reason i keep selling them to buy new ones....

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
twoodcc said:
ha! well you sure have a lot of computers there. i wish i had the money and patience to keep my computers.....but for some reason i keep selling them to buy new ones....

Yeah, I've sold four of my collection over the years.

A PowerBook 3400c that was dead (sold to someone who thought he might be able to repair it. Never did find out if he succeeded or not.) And a beige G3, rev.b iMac, and iMac slot-load 350 MHz; all 'traded in' to buy my first brand-new Mac ever, a 12" PowerBook G4 (very soon after the model came out. I would have bought a 15" Aluminum model if it had existed at the time.) The three trade-ins were my three fastest Macs at the time. I have since replaced all three. (The 350 MHz was replaced with a 600 MHz slot-load, the rev.b iMac with an identical twin, the beige with TWO beiges (a MT and a DT,) plus two B&Ws. (One B&W has a dead motherboard, though.)

I also sold my Windows notebook (one of the rare 'collectors item' Windows notebooks ever, a Sony C1X 'PictureBook'. One of the first notebooks to have a built-in webcam, in addition to being one of the smallest sub-notebooks available.) Between the sale of the Sony, and the 'trade-ins' (I bought it from PowerMax, probably the biggest used-Mac store in the country, which happens to be located only about 10 minutes from my house, which gave me decent trade-in credit,) I didn't have to spend a dime of 'my own' money to get the PowerBook.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
ehurtley said:
Yeah, I've sold four of my collection over the years.

A PowerBook 3400c that was dead (sold to someone who thought he might be able to repair it. Never did find out if he succeeded or not.) And a beige G3, rev.b iMac, and iMac slot-load 350 MHz; all 'traded in' to buy my first brand-new Mac ever, a 12" PowerBook G4 (very soon after the model came out. I would have bought a 15" Aluminum model if it had existed at the time.) The three trade-ins were my three fastest Macs at the time. I have since replaced all three. (The 350 MHz was replaced with a 600 MHz slot-load, the rev.b iMac with an identical twin, the beige with TWO beiges (a MT and a DT,) plus two B&Ws. (One B&W has a dead motherboard, though.)

I also sold my Windows notebook (one of the rare 'collectors item' Windows notebooks ever, a Sony C1X 'PictureBook'. One of the first notebooks to have a built-in webcam, in addition to being one of the smallest sub-notebooks available.) Between the sale of the Sony, and the 'trade-ins' (I bought it from PowerMax, probably the biggest used-Mac store in the country, which happens to be located only about 10 minutes from my house, which gave me decent trade-in credit,) I didn't have to spend a dime of 'my own' money to get the PowerBook.

dang, that sounds like something i would do. it seems i'm always "wheelin and dealin" to get a new computer somehow. i think i've sold 5 computers in less than a year's time to date. 2 were PC desktops that i built, 1 HP laptop and 1 Alienware Laptop (really more like a mobile desktop - gets about 5 minutes with one battery, maybe 30 minutes with 2 batteries). i also sold my mac mini to my dad (for my brother). out of all of that - i got a 15" powerbook, a 17" intel imac, and i'm about to buy a Macbook.

bbergie

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Calgary
ehurtley said:
I've got my main personal website here (Yes, I have forwarded my domain to my iWeb site on .Mac.)

But the part I update most frequently is my recently-added Picture of the Day photo-blog.

I also have a page that isn't in the menu structure that is a simple photo page of my Mac collection.

edit: And, yes, 'homepage.mac.com' are older .Mac-web-tool-created sites, and 'web.mac.com' are newer iWeb-created sites. I have both in my .Mac account. The .Mac-created ones are stored in your iDisk in the 'Sites' folder, while iWeb-created ones are stored in the 'Web' folder (as are iPhoto-created photocasts.)

Very nice iweb website. And yes, you do have a lot of computers. I was disappointed in not spotting a titanium PowerBook G4 computer, like mine. :)

I'm glad to see, by the way, that it is possible to upload such large video files. I hope to post a couple of lengthy movies shortly.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
bbergie said:
Very nice iweb website. And yes, you do have a lot of computers. I was disappointed in not spotting a titanium PowerBook G4 computer, like mine. :)

I'm glad to see, by the way, that it is possible to upload such large video files. I hope to post a couple of lengthy movies shortly.

heh. Sorry, my first new Mac was my Aluminum G4, and the Titanium's are too much used for me to afford just to add it to the collection. I'd love to have one, but as it wouldn't be a 'daily use' computer, I can't justify the cost.

khodges2

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2006
about iwebsites...

i think for the most part iweb does a great job at getting your stuff online... but you have to take some initial steps in making it look a bit more custom because now everyones page is looking the same. Like for example the page links at the top of each page.... for gods sake turn that off. Create your own buttons and link them per page... second. Try playing around with maybe a photoshop program or something similar to create a sort of web theme that way your page is distinguished among others. As well add things like copyrights at the bottom and for example if you have emails that display services that are not really the best like bellsouth.com or yahooo.com in your email address don't let that display. Just have a link that opens that persons email to send you a message. Just a couple of tips that help to make pages look a little bit better and less generic. Some people people on the other hand have sites that don't even look like they made it in iweb because they stretched the program to its limits which is awesome. I can't wait for tjhe next version. I think it should include flash as well as someway to make quick animations and moving charts or something. We'll see what apple comes up with.

KH
http://www.kierredesigns.com <made with iweb & photoshop CS 2

khodges2

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2006
actually i don't know... it says "bio" because thats the name of that page in the iweb program. Maybe is has something to do with the service you are using. Be sure to label the pages in the program exactly how you want them to read and avoid spaces when you can in the titles. It also could be because of this little add on I found online. look up two programs called "iwebsites" and "iweb enhancer". maybe this has something to do with why it shows like this. Hope this helps!

l3lue said:
Very nice.

How did you get it to say for example "http://www.kierredesigns.com/bio.html" instead of "http://www.kierredesigns.com/Site/bio.html" ??

khodges2

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2006
Best Damn iWeb tips...

I discovered this by trial and error... there is a program apple makes called keynote... well with pages you can use it to create a presentation of something and then export it as a flash file. Well this is great because until they add flash as apart of iweb you can add this content to your page. for example my page now has a fade in effect that it did not have before. iweb simply does not allow this to happen as it is still in 1.0 verson. The program is called "apple keynote"... copy and paste some of the content in your iweb site into this program and say export from the file menu. there should be a flash option there. then go to iweb and say insert... fine the export file and wamm! instant flash content. if this doesn't work for others let me know... email me at kierre@kierredesigns.com as well my site is http://www.kierredesigns.com. I use it to create a subtle flash intro though. I am not into moving graphics.

dazboardrider

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2006
khodges2 said:
I discovered this by trial and error... there is a program apple makes called keynote... well with pages you can use it to create a presentation of something and then export it as a flash file. Well this is great because until they add flash as apart of iweb you can add this content to your page. for example my page now has a fade in effect that it did not have before. iweb simply does not allow this to happen as it is still in 1.0 verson. The program is called "apple keynote"... copy and paste some of the content in your iweb site into this program and say export from the file menu. there should be a flash option there. then go to iweb and say insert... fine the export file and wamm! instant flash content. if this doesn't work for others let me know... email me at kierre@kierredesigns.com as well my site is http://www.kierredesigns.com. I use it to create a subtle flash intro though. I am not into moving graphics.

Just wondering if the program you talk about here is the one in iwork? Is there a free version??

Daz

http://www.boardaddict.com

dazboardrider

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2006
Ok after alot of messing around with keynote I finally just put some flash content into my site using simpleviewer ect....

Alot better than the iweb slide shows in my opinion.

I did it using iphoto export

All you have to do is select your photos from iphoto and iphoto export does the rest

Let me know what you think

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
dazboardrider said:
Ok after alot of messing around with keynote I finally just put some flash content into my site using simpleviewer ect....

Alot better than the iweb slide shows in my opinion.

I did it using iphoto export

All you have to do is select your photos from iphoto and iphoto export does the rest

Let me know what you think

I checked out your site, pretty good. What font did you use for "ENTER" on the first page? I like it.:) One suggestion, try downsizing some of the images or editing the HTML. Before the site was loaded into my cache, it was really slow. By the way, im on BroadBand, I don't want to think about what it would be like on 56k.

Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.