Shared Library Error > Drop Drawers > CarbonLib >

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vjmacaddict, Mar 8, 2007.

1. vjmacaddict macrumors member

vjmacaddict

Drop Drawers X is no longer working on my iBook G4, from the external HD (OS X 10.4.8). It was working just fine until I started my laptop last evening from the external HD. I get an error message:

Application Launch Failure

The application "(null)" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "2<Drop Drawers X><CarbonLib><CFMPriv_CarbonSound><>"

Drop Drawers has worked just fine for two 1/2 years until last night! What is wrong? I tried trashing Drop Drawers (including the Drop Drawers Preferences and the Drop Drawers X.plist, and downloaded Drop Drawers again .....

That did no good at all. I've tried restarting from the external HD, but Drop Drawers still doesn't work, and the same error appears. I'm sure there is a very simple fix for this issue. What should I do to restore my original drawers? I've saved the original drawers to another partition for safe keeping.

Note: Drop Drawers is still working fine from the internal HD (OS X 10.4.8) on my laptop. I need to get Drop Drawers working again on the external HD.

I even tried double-clicking on the original drawers, but the same error message appears. Help!!! Thanks.

-- vja4Him

2. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

i'm having the same exact problem!!! i don't know how to fix, someone plz help!

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't have any experience with Drop Drawers X, but as with all hacks, ensure it's one of the last Login Items in System Preferences, if applicable. Did this behaviour coincide with any system updates (security, iTunes or QuickTime)? :)

4. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

yea i was trying to install a driver for an hp scanner... i'm sure that is the problem, i'm reinstalling mac os x and well c...

5. vjmacaddict thread starter macrumors member

vjmacaddict

Share Libary Errors ... What a Terrible Mess !!!!

I can't remember for certain exactly when this Shared Library Error first appeared, but I do remember that the last update for 10.4.8 did NOT work. I tried to do the update many times, and it failed everytime, on my both the internal HD on my iBook, and the external HD!!

Hmmmmmm .... I wonder if that is suspicious???

Now both my laptop and the external HDs are really messed up, very, very, very, very, very, very bad ....!!! I've spoke with numerous Apple Tech Support people, and they are at a lost for a solution, other than to erase both HDs.

I can't log into my regular profile on the laptop, so I have to access my e-mail from the external HD, which luckily is working now. Chances are if I shut down, the external HD won't boot without several attempts .....

I can see all of my files on the laptop, but cannot access the files that are in my regular account (the one I use all the time). I can log into an old account, but there is nothing in there for me to use!!!

I thought about dragging the Mail files from the regular account to the one that works, but many of my Mail folder are locked (red dot with minus sign). When trying to open the folders, error message says that I don't have access privileges!!

I've tried backing up my Mail files/folders, but keep getting error messages, so I cannot even back up my Mail, Library, or Users files/folders, and also many other files and applications will not backup.

I sure hope that Disk Warrior will fix this problem, at least long enough to back up to a new external HD, then I can erase the internal and older external HD.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

vjmacaddict, try logging in as root and backing up your files that way. That might help bypass the red no access signs, although, I would have thought you could access your files via the external drive login. Disable root once you've got your files or disable it if you can't get your files. It's not very safe to have root enabled. :eek:

7. vjmacaddict thread starter macrumors member

vjmacaddict

Problems Dragging Files to External HD ... ??

When I open the Mail folder on my internal HD on the iBook G4, from the external HD, the Mail folders do not have the red circle with the minus sign, BUT ..... I cannot drag the Mail files from the laptop to the external HD.

I get all kinds of error messages, saying something like a file with that name already exists, or could not complete the action ...... There is something corrupt somewhere big time!!! All the Apple techs told me that they have no clue what is going on and the only solution is to reformate the HD!!!

So, now I need to find a high quality, large capacity HD with high quality enclosure, that will boot, and hopefully then I will be able to copy everything from my existing external HD and the internal HD on my laptop, then reformate both of the troubled-HDs, and then copy over the necessary files.

I would like to take precautionary measures for the future ..... and I'm thinking that perhaps I should get a firewall, or some kind of protection software. I don't want this mess to happen again!!!

I had a similar situation back in 1999-2000, with my now-dead G3 Blue & White Minitower, and nearly lost everything!!! I bought an external USB 60GB HD, backed up everything, then reformatted the B&W350, but still had serious issues, so I bought a PowerMac 7300, 180Mhz, then upgraded to a G3500Mhz card!!! Wow, that was really something back in the days!!!

BTW, all of the Apple techs tried everything they could to get me to be able to bypass the mysterious security which has locked me out of my regular user account, but nothing worked. In fact, there were no accounts visible at all, just a blank screen, and we tried many, many times.

Disk Utility will not fix the problem. Good thing that I have been downloading mail to both laptop and external HD, but still I don't have exact copies of all mail that is SENT.

What a mess, and that's not all. My son couldn't get his iPod to work correctly, so whatever this corruption is, has also affected iPod. At least I can still get online, for now anyways .......

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did the Apple technicians get you to try Target Disk Mode with another Mac? I agree that something's messed up with your hard drives but I don't think a firewall would have helped you. Generally a hardware issue like this is almost completely separate from anything software could do to help you. Do you remember if you've had a power surge or blackout (lightening storm) recently, because it's odd that everything went down together. :(

9. vjmacaddict thread starter macrumors member

vjmacaddict

Power Outages Causing Damage???

I don't have another Mac to use with my iBook. There were many power outages a couple months ago. I do have everything in the house connected to power surge units. I was wondering if that may have caused the corruption to both systems?

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It definitely could be the cause. Maybe take it all in to a technician to get properly looked at. I'm not sure there's much more I can do for you. :eek: