Shared music

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mac-er, Dec 17, 2005.

1. mac-er macrumors 65816

How can my iTunes be picking up shared music when my computer is only hooked up to a normal DSL line and no Airport?

I just started picking up a shared list for the first time ever.

This person has a HUGE library...5500 songs at 25 GB.

2. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Well thats wierd, I honestly can't really figure how that would be possible. Are you actually able to connect to this library? For a bit more information, you could download a program like Bonjour Browser. It will show you a bunch of info about the shared library, its computer, if its on your local network, IP, password requirements, and MAC address. Maybe you could find out more about the said computer with this info. I don't know I'm at a loss if you aren't on a network.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

4. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

Not a on a network. Just connected right into DSL line. Yes, I was able to stream their library.

I DL'd Bonjour Browser. When I expanded the playlist's name, there was no information. (The playlist went away a few minutes ago..I guess they turned off iTunes)

Under workgroup manager, I see my computer and someone else's computer with an IP of 166.82.11.56

I also see her iChat AV name (her screen name @ her computer's name). (I also see her when I login iChat AV under Bonjour)

5. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Are you positive you don't have airport on(if an ad-hoc network somehow got created, the effects you described could be explained this way)? I've done some google searches but can't figure out how you would be bonjour sharing with just a strait DSL hookup and no local network connections going.

I suppose you could always just IM her and ask her whats the deal and if she is jacking your internet somehow. :D

6. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

Airport is off.

My sharing (file and Internet) is off. Firewall is up.

The only difference in her IP address is the last 2 numbers (her IP is registered to my DSL provider, obviously).

I did IM her, she is "shoppin with her mommie"

She did right this article though, http://www.nineronline.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2001/08/01/3b6672ba88c0c

7. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Hmm alright, hopefully someone else will be able to chime in here. Not that I'm saying I give up here, but there should be no way what is happening is possible. All I can even think of at this point is odd and far out possibilites that I am sure aren't the case, even so...

Do you have a printer with wireless capabilities connected to your Mac, someone could be piggybacking off of that signal and then connecting to your Mac?

In 'Network' under 'System Preferences' are any devices running that shouldnt be? Can also check more in detail by using terminal, run 'ifconfig' and you can check the status 'active or inactive' for each local network device, eithernet, fw, airport and such.

This one is probably a really long shot but maybe your airport is just screwed up and is really on even though it says its off, could try turning it on and see if there are any open networks, and if you join them see if the same person is on iChat still. (EDIT: I just reread this one and it doesn't even make sense to me so forget this one. I mean of course they would still be connected even if you logged onto the same network they are already on, because you would already be on it as well.)

You could just reset your computer, cross your fingers and hope this all goes away. ;)

-I'll try posting again if I think of anything else, not that these above suggestions were real great or anything.

8. Soverc macrumors member

Just curious what is your subnet mask ? That could help to explain things.

9. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Read somewhere about a hack that lets people share iTunes music over the internet...

Maybe he/she has that hack on, and your IP matches the list he/she created for sharing [Just throwing thoughts around here, I don't really know for sure :eek:]

10. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

I was thinking about that, but last I heard, in order to access the shared library over the internet with this method, you need to visit a web page, or use a specific client to access the playlist, it shouldn't just show up in iTunes I don't believe. This also wouldn't make other bonjour services active like networked iChat, which he is also encountering.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Can you play the music in the Shared Libraries? I wonder if unplugging the modem for thirty seconds ad then re-plugging it in will help. It sounds like an ISP issue and most ISPs will reset your IP after thirty (or so) seconds of no connection.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yup. I think you're on to something. mac-er didn't mention a hardware firewall on the DSL, and is "Just connected right into DSL line." So it would be safe to assume the provider hooks their customers up directly to the public 'net and they are in the same subnet.

Unless of course I'm wrong. ;)

COuld also be something funky like they are in the same private subnet, e.g. 192.168.1.X and that may be allowing for limited routing of those packets. Though that seems as unlikely as the Airport being off, but still on. ;)

B

13. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes..
    Restarting the computer and modem seemed to have helped/