Sharia Law comes to Tennessee

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Aug 12, 2013.

1. macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/texas-judge-forces-baby-messiah-change-article-1.1424081

This is the sort of crap all of these anti-Sharia law laws are supposed to prevent - judges using their religious beliefs to decide rulings. But I guess it's OK if you're a Christian :rolleyes:

Also, I'm not sure that Judge Ballew in Cocke County has any right to be concerned with someone else's name - maybe she should rule that the county should be renamed first. And yes, it's pronounced exactly how you think it is:

2. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Beat me to it. Just wow.

3. macrumors 6502

I have a problem with parents who give their children ridiculous names, but I find it far more troubling that a judge would issue a legal order based on her religious principles.

4. macrumors 65816

This was exactly my thought when my wife pointed me to this story last night. I can't stand when people name their child Ghennapher or something just so they can be unique (setting their child up for a lifetime of having to repeat it, spell it, and never be able to find something with their name on it). I also think Messiah is a pretty terrible name, but that's not up for me to decide. But, a judge being able to legally change it because her religion tells her so...that ain't right!

5. macrumors G3

Huntn

I agree terrible name, but a terrible judge. What's the legal premise/standard to change the child's name? If it's "my religion", then that judge should be impeached.

6. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just goes to show that you can take the Christian out of Cocke, but you can’t take the Cocke out of the Christian.

7. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Agreed. Judges with such flawed "judgement" should be disbarred. They're dealing with peoples lives here there is no room for this kind of thing.

8. macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

I like how part of the basis on this was how it is a title.

Mr, is a title right? Yet there is a person in my previous company (Project Manager @ Sling Media/DISH Network) who was legally named "Mr Megazone".

http://www.linkedin.com/in/megazone

9. macrumors 603

Kick this judge off the bench. Then take this case to an appeals court where it will be overturned because this is clearly unconstitutional.

This dumbass judge must have missed all the people of Latino descent named Jesus too.

America continues to make a fool of itself daily.

10. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What if the kid's name was Adolph Hitler?

11. macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

On the bright side, the kid will probably have an easier time in school now. Kind of like naming your kid Satin.

I don't really agree with the reasons she changed the name, but that is a ****ed up name for a kid.

12. macrumors 6502

lannister80

Well, it's that it's a "unique" title that can only be held by one person, ever (Jesus, he says). Not just that it's a title.

It's still completely ****ed reasoning, but there it is.

----------

Yeah, don't name your kid after a glossy fabric. Just asking for trouble.

13. macrumors 68000

sonicrobby

What ever happened to separation of church and state?

And what the hell were the parents on when naming their kid?

14. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Attached Files:

15. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

16. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This judge is an idiot and should be kicked off the bench.

17. macrumors 6502a

I am disappointed there has not been a Monty Python reference yet...

18. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

For the political group you are referring to, separation of church and state only applied to the Federal Government. States could do pretty much whatever the heck they wanted. And, they did, too, until the 13th-15th Amendments. The judge is just a little old-fashioned.

And all the Jesuses, Christians (is that a "title" also?), not to mention Mohammeds in another department, I have met over the years.

Now, despite all that, given all the weird names Americans have been coming up with for centuries now, I do have a small amount sympathy with the old French law that only allowed standard names to choose from (mainly saints and traditional French names of course). ;)

http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=81511&page=1

19. macrumors 68030

sk1wbw

This is far, far from Sharia law but I agree with you. Only the parents should be able to come up with a name for their baby and nobody else. Even if it's something stupid like North or Friday.

20. lostngone, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I worked with a guy with a given name of "Senator". I don't know why his parents named him that but he is very successful and I thought it was a pretty cool name.

Edit: If you can name your kid a general direction"North West" I do not see an issue with "Messiah".

21. macrumors 68020

localoid

22. macrumors 68000

hulugu

I wonder what the judge thinks of guys named Jesus, or Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern

23. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah it's worse as sharia law wouldn't prevent you from naming your kid Messiah or Mohammad.

24. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Thats not Sharia law, although the Judge is making a wrong decision in this case. The Judge ruled that "Messiah" is a title and changed the boys first name to "Martin" the mothers last name. However there are many other kids named after Mohammed or Jesus or others so Messiah shouldn't be excluded. This case will quickly be overturned...

25. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sharia law is is the moral code and religious law of Islam. This judge used the moral code and religious law of Christianity. How is that different?