Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
If I have a simple network between two Macs in OS X and I want to share lets say the
Documents folder.

I go to Sharing > add username then click "read and write"

is this enough?

OR, do I have do this to ALL the parent folders of "Documents"?

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
You shouldn't need to do this on the parent folders, the way you suggested should be just fine.

ok thanks for your reply Dan.

Is there need to add a specific username or just add "everybody" for read&write permissions?

danwestbrook

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Surrey, UK
ok thanks for your reply Dan.

Is there need to add a specific username or just add "everybody" for read&write permissions?
It's more secure if you a specific username, as someone would need to know both the username and password to connect to the share. But it depends on how and where you are using it.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
If I have a simple network between two Macs in OS X and I want to share lets say the
Documents folder.

is this enough?

Why don't you just experiment and try it. Share it the first way, then go to the other Mac and see if you can access it. If not, try specific username and "everyone". You may have to temporarily add another user to your other Mac.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Documents folder.

is this enough?

Either add the username on the other mac, or if you are the user on both macs, just login to the other mac through command K on the finder.
You only need to add sharing to the entire drive if you want to share the entire drive, e.g. if it's a media drive at home.

Reactions: komatsu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.