Sharing a Firewire drive in OSX

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by brianhagen, Jun 1, 2004.

1. brianhagen macrumors newbie

Hello,

We just got 3 new computers with OSX (new to me) at work and one of the computers has an external harddrive hooked up to the USB2 port. I want to share this drive with the other computers so they can have access to the files stored on it (read/write)

They can 'see' my computer and connect to me, either as a Guest or using my own computers login name and password; but no one can see or share the external drive.

Under Get Info, the only option for Ownership on the drive says "You can read and write to this drive"

How can I allow others to connect and share (read/write) the contents of this drive? My work is at a stand still til I get this to work! :confused:

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

If you turn on Personal File Sharing under System Preferences and Sharing, you can use AFP.

Then, go to the Finder, and hit Command-K. Type:

afp://name_of_server

After authenticating as a local user, you should see the external drive listed, as well as the internal drive and that user's home directory.

3. brianhagen thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, thats what Ive been doing.. but the external drive doesn't show up. Only the computers internal drive.

4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i found this on the net:

hopefully it'll help,
    reality

5. brianhagen thread starter macrumors newbie

\

Thanks but that check box doesn't show up. It only says "Ownership Permissions - You can read and write "

6. brianhagen thread starter macrumors newbie

BUMP!

Come on! Can't the combined powers of this board help me out!?

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

8. brianhagen thread starter macrumors newbie

SharePoints doesnt fix it. I believe the problem may stem from the fact that the ex. drive is formated as OS Standard, not Extended.

...maybe

9. ephramz macrumors member

Need to reformat

I had just this problem with an IOMEGA external USB 2.0 drive that never showed up in the shared volumes from other computers. I had just used it as it came formatted, I guess regular HFS. When I reformatted it in Disk Utility to HFS Extended, it started showing up in shares no problem. Only problem is you have to erase the thing. :( Haven't heard of other solutions. Hope that helps!

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The point is, unless you setup the mount point in your smb.conf, you won't see the drive now matter what permissions. By default the only share point is the Shared folder of your home directory.

Sharepoints makes setting up the share easier than mucking with all the config files.

So you did try this?