Sharing a printer from Mac to Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gerard O'Neill, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Gerard O'Neill macrumors newbie

I've found lots of entries in various forums about sharing Windows printers with Macs, but I can't find out how to intall a printer in Windows (2003 Server in this case) from a printer that is physically installed on and shared from a Mac (OS 10.4). Can any one provide any advice?

Thanks,
    Gerard O'Neill.

2. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I installed Dave on my Mac to be able to share the printer with my laptop.. My laptop is running XP home... But it should still work regardless of what OS your PC has..

3. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I have a HP2175 all in one attached (USB) to my iMac, which 'Windows File System' and 'Print Shares' with both my wife's Windows XP laptop and my iBook.

Unfortunately there appears to be a bug with HP printers, whereby the drivers need to match on all machines for it to work correctly. This doesn't seem possible on the Mac and PC combo - since the drivers are at different versions! :confused:

4. go habs go macrumors newbie

hello,
    what is DAVE and will let me share a printer on my imac with a windows xp machine at home?
    Thanks

5. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

Everyone...... Say hello to DAVE...

I personally use it and it makes it easy/easier to share a printer connected to a Mac.....

6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I was wondering the same thing, but found it on www.macupdate.com.

7. belvdr macrumors 601

No bug here. I have an HP OfficeJet 5510 all-in-one connected to my iMac via USB. My laptop is running XP Pro and prints fine. I have Printer Sharing and Windows Sharing enabled, and use the HP Color LaserJet 4550 PS driver on the XP laptop.

Whenever you share a printer on the Mac, it seems you should always use a PostScript driver on the PC clients.

I've never needed additional software. Just enabling Windows Sharing and Printer Sharing has done it for me.

8. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Awww i was reading through all the posts and just waiting to suggest bonjour for windows, alas it was not to be.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Great minds think alike. :)

Oh, and I love your signature. :D

10. belvdr macrumors 601

Am I missing something here?

11. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Maybe he just wants to own all that mac gear :confused:

12. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Same here, however, I can't get my HP DeskJet 5940 to work with it. Like a previous poster said, the drivers for HP printers have to be the same, which is impossible. This has worked fine with my Epson Stylus Photo R200.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, it's either changed or I'm madder than I give myself credit for... :confused:

14. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Question regarding Bonjour for Windows... If a printer is setup on a new Mac Mini and I have my son install Bonjour for Windows on his PC, will the printer automatically show up, or does something have to be enabled on the Mac? Hoping that it all happens without additional intervention so I don't have to go to the ex-wifes house unless I absolutely have to :cool:

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mac-side, I turn on Printer Sharing in System Preferences (it's in the Sharing pane) and then play from there. :)

People have had different experiences with Bonjour for Windows, but for me it was merely a matter of plug-and-play.

16. zephya macrumors newbie

similar issue using pc bonjour to print to r300 on mac

config:
    r300 attached by usb to imac g5 osx 10.4.6
    attached by builtin ethernet to belkin wireless router 802.11 54mbit
    attached wirelessly to laptop xp sp2.
    latest r300 drivers on both mac and laptop
    bonjour 1.0.3 installed on laptop, norton firewall enabled tcp & udp in and out to local net on port 5353
    printer and filesharing enabled on both pc & mac
    1.5gb ram on each machine, 20gb+ free space on each machine

mac can see laptop
    laptop can see mac and attached printer
    pc bonjour times out on last step of wizard (copying hplips1.ini) if generic postscript printer driver selected for mac r300 but "apparently" succeeds if r300 driver selected. Either way get "success" message on printing to mac printer from laptop BUT mac shows untitled print held on queue with unspecified error and no print emerges. am logged on as admin and have write privs to all directories on both machines (not what I do normally but wanted to makes sure privs not causing issue)

Am able to print direct from mac, or if printer attached to usb on laptop, so it must be to do with bonjour or the ipp driver used with bonjour.

can't find hplips1.ini file so unable to do manual postscript print driver file to windows/system32/spool/drivers/w32x86/....

Please can anyone help with further suggestions ?

Thanks in advance
    Zephya

17. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Thanks MJ. I think my 11 year old can handle that :p

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries. Good luck to you and your eleven year old. :D

19. zephya macrumors newbie

:)
    .... any chance of borrowing your 11-year-old to fix my printing ?

Zeph

20. zephya macrumors newbie

Success xp laptop printing wirelessly to mac usb inkjet

Thanks to a hint from another forum managed to do it by using CUPS on mac to configure my printer specifically for network use in addition to the existing mac printer definition.

I am running xp pro sp 2 on a laptop with bonjour 1.0.3 wireless connection to belkin router which is connected by ethernet to an imac with an usb inkjet.

Having made sure file-sharing and printer sharing enabled behind firewall on both machines bonjour could see my "mac" defined printer but couldn't print to it - the cups trick described in this link http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021101062604548
    sorted it for me. I discovered that under 10.4.6 the raw bits were already enabled so was able to skip to instruction 6 for the mac part of the hint.

The pc part of the hint was mostly redundant because as soon as the printer was properly configred on the mac for network use I was able to use bonjour with the correct drivers - I didn't even have to faff around with postscript/apple drivers - I can use the full functionality of the printer using the pc drivers
    Hope this helps someone else as much as it helped me - regards - Zeph