Sharing a printer with two routers.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ibookowner2, Jan 14, 2007.

1. ibookowner2 macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2005
    I have one Linkysys wireless router which I use downstairs then I have CAT5 wired up to an outlet upstairs which a d-link router is plugged into. When I try to share the printer which is attached to a computer on the d-link router it cant even see it. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I cannot get rid of the d-link router because a video relay I have machine works only on that.
  2. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    is the computer the printer connected to a OSX Mac or a Windows PC?
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    What type of printer?

If you are attaching via AppleTalk, that may be a problem because most wireless routers do not route AppleTalk.
  4. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    How is the 2nd D-link router connected into the first?

Is it a double NAT? (you connect the WAN port of the 2nd router to an ethernet port on the first?)

If you did that, then whatever stuff that is going on in the 2nd NAT wouldn't route out to the rest of your network.
  5. ibookowner2 thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2005
    Both computers are Macs. Its an epson stylus c86 printer. And I took one of the ethernet outlets from the linksys into the WAN port of the d-link.
  6. NicP macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2005
    You need to disable all the firewall stuff on the d-link (if possible), or use one of the standard ports on the d-link (use a crossover cable)