Sharing a Scanner

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Nermal, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'd like to share my scanner. First, a bit of background:

1 Mac (10.3.2)
    3 Windows PCs (XP)
    1 Windows "Server" (2003)

The "server" is a standard PC, but with no mouse or screen or anything. It's by no means a "real" server :)

Prior to today, the server had an old printer plugged into it, and this printer was shared over the network. You could print from my Mac, or any of the PCs.

We decided to replace the printer, and bought a new one today. We ended up getting one of those combo units with the printer and a scanner (it's an Epson Stylus CX3100). I've plugged it into the server and shared the printer, no problems there, everyone can print.

But I'd like to share the scanner. This is my first scanner, so I have no idea how to share it. I can't find an icon to right-click and choose Sharing, like I would with the printer.

So how do I share the scanner? Should I be sharing it from a Windows computer, or would it be easier to plug it into my Mac instead and share it from there?

2. Pedro Estarque macrumors regular

you can share a USB scanner in a mac only network with image capture. Its very easy actually.
    But if you want to share it with the PC also you might want to try SANE. It can be a bit tricky
    I don't think this can be done with TWAIN

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Thanks. SANE looks too tricky for me :(

I've just emailed Epson support to see whether they can help. I'm not holding my breath.

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've found some software called RemoteScan that claims to be able to share a scanner over a Windows network. In their forums, someone asked whether it's possible to access the scanner from a Mac. They said no, but they're "evaluating the possibility". So I replied and let them know that I'm interested too.

5. Pedro Estarque macrumors regular

If it can be shared over a win network then there might be a way to access it in OSX ( even if it requires some terminal ), since it supports most windows network protocols.
    I'm looking for a way to share my SCSI Scanner for ages but never figured out how. When I finally managed to compile SANE I found out that the driver support for my particular scanner was only partial and it wouldn't work. :(
    If you know anything about it...

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The SANE site doesn't mention my scanner, but one with a similar model number is listed as "untested". I don't want to go to heaps of trouble just to find that it won't work.

I thought of another option - run a second USB cable from the scanner through to my computer. But I can't find any that are long enough! The longest I can find is 5 metres, I need 10-15 because the scanner's in a different room. I wonder how hard it is to make your own, like you can with a network cable?

By the way, I like your sig :) I haven't used AppleScript in ages, I can't really remember what to do anymore!

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

How is this done? I have two scanners both on my LAN and neither of them are even detected by Image Capture in the first place... what are the requirements/supported scanners?

8. Pedro Estarque macrumors regular

yea, I think sane just isn't there yet

This might work, maybe if you buy a USB HUB you could use it simultaneously. I have 5 meters long USB cable, and I think its the maximum length it can reach. After that you might have to use a device that boots the signal. I wouldn't advise trying to make your own USB cable, It's much harder then ethernet. ;)
    Thanks, I play with AppleScript and Basic to fulfill my programing aspirations, until I have the time ( and courage :) ) to learn the real stuff like C etc

9. Pedro Estarque macrumors regular

Are you using 10.3? It works much better in this version. I guess it must be a USB/firewire scanner and I think you can find a list of the supported devices in apple's site.

10. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Yes, scanner sharing was introduced is 10.3 AFAIK... I'm using an Agfa scanner (USB) and an HP All-in-One (USB). I wouldn't doubt that the HP isnt supported because its an all in one, but Agfa and Apple have always had a pretty close relationship as far as scanners go, which is why I think its strange that its not supported.

I also cannot seem to find a list of supported scanners on Mac OS X section of Apple's website... and of course that awful Help Viewer app hasn't even been updated for 10.3 (at least for Preview).

11. Pedro Estarque macrumors regular

Agfa dropped Scanner SCSI support on 10.3 ( apple's fault in my opinion, why do they have to change the SCSI driver every system revision and don't even worry about backward compatibility? :mad: )
    I don't think they are that close now

12. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I don't think thats a surprise at all... SCSI is yesterday's technology. Firewire is faster, easier to use, hot plug and play, and more popular. Why would Agfa continue to support those scanners under OS 10.3 after Apple introduced Firewire in the Blue and White G3's many years ago?

13. Pedro Estarque macrumors regular

Costumer respect policy?
    So I'm just supposed to trow away a gr8 Scanner that handles chromes, negatives and reflectives with exceptional quality, speed and resolution and buy firewire just because its cool and new?

( remember thing$ in Brazil aren't as ea$y as in the US )

14. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok