Sharing a volume or folder other than startup in Panther?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacPulse Zack, Jul 23, 2004.

1. MacPulse Zack macrumors newbie

I've had a networking related brain fart.

How do I share a volume, such as an external firewire hard drive on my Powerbook with GUEST users on my network? I realize they could login with an Admin login/pass and can see all attached drives.

But is there anyway to share it with guest users? And what if I wanted to put a drop box on the external firewire hard drive.

Thanks for the help! I'll try to keep the swamp gas down.

2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I use SharePoints but I think there are terminal commands to do it. Remember you have to set the Ownership & Permissions option on the folder you want to share by clicking on the folder then command + i.

3. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

I made a new user (with low privs) and used net info to put their user folder TO the folder I wanted to share. Just never login to that account (unless through FTP or whatever), and it'll never create the library folder and whatnot.

4. MacPulse Zack thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...

I appreciate the replies.. but

Is there not an easier way? In OS 9 all you had to do was tell it to "Share" this folder or volume. Heck, that's all you have to do in Windows 2000/XP!

Desired result:

1. A mac user on my network clicks "Network" in a Finder window
    2. When prompted for a login they click "Guest"
    3. A list of available homes and drives pops up.. one of the available volumes being a mounted, external device.

In other words, any way to do this without setting up a new user and a new home directory? I just want guests to have read only access to a volume, and then in that volume I want them to have a drop box.

Thanks for the help so far, and any help that comes...

5. MacPulse Zack thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried out SharePoints... after reading through the tutorial (an old tutorial, written with X 10.1 in mind), I was able to figure it out. Simple enough, I guess.

Curious as to why this functionality isn't available to the average user, and why you have use a 'hack' utility like SharePoints?

Thanks!

6. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Yeah it took me forever to figure out how to share My Music with other people on my network(not streaming through itunes, I'm not a moron). Eventually I found this program and I had folders shared in less than minute.