Sharing an airport connection to a pc over ethernet?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by alphaone, Sep 7, 2003.

1. alphaone macrumors 6502

I have a question. I am thinking about building a PC for gaming only soon and I am wondering if I can share the airport connection (dsl) over ethernet to the pc. Now I know that this works with other macs. I would test it myself, but I don't have any PC's to test it with. Can anyone answer my question? I really don't want to have to put in a wireless card in the pc when the mac right next to it has a perfectly good connection already.

2. alphaone thread starter macrumors 6502

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yup, you can do it. Just go to the "Sharing" preference pane and go to "Internet" and click the "Share the connection...." thing. Doesn't matter if it's a mac or pc that your sharing to. All your mac will do is become a DHCP server and assign an IP address to anything that requests one, completely platform independent. One thing though, the mac will have to be on for the pc to get a connection. Good luck.

4. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

My mom has her mac connected to an Airport base station - then, she has 3 to 4 PCs networked to the mac all with wireless cards - 2 are desktops that use USB to wireless adapters. All of the computers share an internet connection. Is this what you were asking?

Alia

5. alphaone thread starter macrumors 6502