Sharing apps across devices

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Dingo Dave 69, Sep 27, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

I have two quick questions I am hoping someone can help with.

I have an iphone just now, if I buy an iPod touch will I be able to download the apps I have already bought on my iphone onto my iPod touch?

Secondly, at the moment I have my apps stored on my macbook but I want to copy them over to my other computer. Is it just a case of copying over "Mobile applications" folder from my itrunes library onto my other pc?

2. macrumors newbie

Yes you can. As long as the apps have been transferred into your iTunes library, you can then set your new device to also sync those apps.

A similar question. I have been able to transfer apps across different user accounts on my iMac, but can I also use this method to transfer apps across computers? Does this make the DRM worthless, as a friend can copy my £5.99 purchased copy of Super Monkey Ball onto their iPhone and transfer it back onto their computer?

Surely not...

3. macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

So,

Here's some things I know about apps and music and what not:

An iPhone or iPod touch is considered a computer, and in your iTunes account your aloud to have 8 computers authorized to have purchases from that account. So, your laptop would be one, other mac would be another, iPod touch and your iPhone, and you still have 4 left over. So to answer your first question, yes.

And for your second question I think you can do that, but you could just into your account on the mac and then redownload all of your apps there.

Zym

4. macrumors 68030

skubish

To answer your second question, yes you can move the apps to your pc. On the Mac the apps are located MUSIC/Itunes/Moblie Applications. I think you need to be logged into your iTunes account to transfer to iPhone/iPod.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, up until today I just had an iphone. After some shopping I came home with a 32GB ipod touch and it installed and ran the apps no problem, some bought and some free.

Surely though they would allow more than 8? If I had 8 ipod touches does that mean I couldnt get another one and share the apps or any purchases between them?

...(goes off to wonder why I would have 8 ipods in the first place...)

6. macrumors regular

jstanier

I would test this, but unfortunately I'm not rich enough to do so yet. :)

7. macrumors regular

Actually, easiest way to transfer apps would be to authorize the other comp with your iTunes info and then plug in your iPhone/iPod touch and just hit transfer purchases. :)

and you can have apps on unlimited iPhones/iPod touches

8. macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure the limit for an itunes account purchases is
    5 computers
    and unlimited ipods.

Not a total of 8 including both.

9. macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

the limit for authorizations of an account is 8 devices, so 8 computers and or iPod touches/iPhones

But you can unlimited iPods that don't have an iTunes store account

Zym

10. macrumors 6502

You sure?
    http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/authorization/
    says

It's the same rules for apps I'm pretty certain.
    Where did this 8 figure come from?