Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buckman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
I'm using Mac OS X 10.6.7 fine and an old PC..

The PC has a USB Drive attached 1TB and I have enabled this in Windows to be shared so that my Macbook Pro i7 can read the USB HD via a connecting ethernet cable.

This all works great, but is there a way in this day and age where I can share and 'edit' files live between the two machines, and have them both have access at the same time?

I use audio files on the pc (.wav and .aiff) from the shared USB HD and keep them open for editing on the PC, then I have the Mac access them too for sequencing in Logic so they are effectively in 2 places at once..

I just want to be able to edit them live on the PC and the refreshed updates reflect in the Mac in situ - they seem to play ok on both machines accessing the same file, but the editing, suddenly everything falls over?

If this is possible, is there a better way of doing it, like having the shared USB HD on the 'mac side' and let the PC access it? or am i doing it the best way?

Surely theres a way around this with networking or even Mac or PC settings to overcome this, whereby Mac and PC's live together happily on the same network? :confused:

Mactasia

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
UK
In my experience this doesn't work out well because you have two different systems trying to access the same files at the same time - this is always going to cause conflicts imho.

You *may* have better results using a NAS box as storage, but I couldn't guarantee anything.

Personally, in the work place I system manage, I have students copy the files from a share to their own network space and then work from them - specifically to avoid this kind of problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.