Sharing Connection b/t wireless iMac and non-wireless Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jovian9, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I have a question here:
    I have a wireless network set up at home. The cable modem sits next to my TV in the living room and is connected to a wireless router. Both my iMac G5 and MacBook have Airport so they are fine. I picked up a G4 Mac Mini today that does not have wiress. I would like to set this up next to my iMac.
    Can I share the wireless connection my iMac receives with the Mac Mini via an ethernet cord? If so, how do I do this? In System Preferences - sharing?

Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

On the iMac, start Internet Sharing on the Ethernet port via the Sharing pane of System Preferences. I think it should just work from there, once you've plugged in the cable. :)

3. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I went into:
    System Preferences
    Sharing
    Internet
    I then turned Internet Sharing 'On'
    I chose to share the connection from 'Airport' (on iMac G5) to computers using 'Built-in-Ethernet'
    I hooked up the Mac Mini to my iMac G5 via ethernet

When I go into System Preferences - Network - on my Mac Mini it shows that the Mac Mini's built-in-ethernet is currently active and has teh IP address....and that it is connected to the internet via built-in-ethernet (the dot is green)......but when I load Safari or Firefox it just spins and never grabs a page.

????

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. Firstly check that your iMac can get the 'net. Then, check that you don't have any wacky proxy settings in the Network pane of System Preferences on the mini. :)

5. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Checked all that and it's fine. The MacMini has a connection but will not load a page still. I just can't figure it out :(

6. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Try disabiling the firewall on the Mini (if it is currently on)???