Sharing drives between PC's ??

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Draft, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Draft macrumors 6502

Does anyone know how to share/mount drives between PC's? Is it anywhere as easy as in Mac OS X? I have a crossover cable, but I don't know anything about the 2 systems, and I'm expected to do this tomorrow, but I'd like to have some idea of what to expect.

Thanks,
    Draft

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

its simple

use your xOver cable. Then go to my computer. Go to the Tools menue. Pick map to network drive. The drive has to be set so it can be shared. before you do it. I think thats it.

3. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: its simple

Thanks.

What about the IP's? Do they have to be specified? If so, what should they be specified as?

Draft

4. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

IP

I dont think you need to give them IPs if you just going to use a xOver cable. If you brows your network you should see it there. Just make sure your drive is sharable.. or at least some folder is. Or you cant do it.

5. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

6. balliet macrumors member

Re: IP

The crossover cable really has nothing to do with it. If you use TCP/IP each computer needs an IP. Although, I think from Win98 on it'll just make one up if you don't give it one. You'll probably be better off just assigning them staticly though. (192.168.1.x). That way you don't have to wait for the dhcp request to timeout on each boot.

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

8. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

DAVEY!

You can use Dave, that works well for me, I can mount drives and everything!

Oh! If you need help on how to setup File Sharing on your PC e-mail me or Private Message me, I know how! :D