Sharing External Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gavjs, Dec 3, 2006.

1. gavjs macrumors newbie

Dec 3, 2006

I have just bought a new MacBook and am able to connet to my iMac over my wireless network.

I am not however able to figure out how to access directly an external hard drive connected to the iMac by USB. I know I can reach it as sharing my iTunes library on iMac (with music stored on external drive) works on the MacBook.

Any help appreciated on suggestions for being able to link to the hard drive.

2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2005
    Perth, Oztrailya
    It *should* be an option when you connect to your iMac. That is, when you connect, you should get a choice of which volume to mount. I suppose it is possible that this doesn't work for USB drives, and only for FW, but I have never heard that before and I can't see why.
  3. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2006
    Here is what you do. Go into system prefs,sharing,then enable file sharing on the left side menu. Under there it should give you two options to access the iMac from your macbook. One is in the network menu from finder, and just look for the name of the iMac there. If you try to connect, it should prompt for a username and password. Once you put those in, there should be a box that comes up listing all the volumes and you can select which to mount. Click on the external drive, and you should be able to access it. It will be slow though.
  4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    Yes, it's one of the items on the drop down list of Volumes (in the little window which pops up when you choose the iMac in NETWORK). :)