Sharing external HD, OSX & XP ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blackscooby, Nov 10, 2006.

1. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Could do with some advice...

Is it possible to share a drive between XP and OSX ? I've got a Seagate 320GB USB drive which I want to share between both an XP box and my MacBook.

However the Macbook can't write to the XP formatted drive, but if I format it for OSX will the XP drive be able to write to it ?

Thanks

2. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Use FAT 32. Many large external deives come in this format. Only limitation is that the maximum file size is 4GB.

3. pna macrumors 6502

FAT32 is by far the easiest solution to sharing the hard drive between windows and mac. The other limitation to it, though (beyond the 4 GB file size limit), is that the partitions can't be larger than 120 Gb. So if you were going to try and use your entire 320 gb hard drive for sharing between the two different OS's, you'd need to make three different FAT32 partitions on it.

You could always format it as a native Mac filesystem, and then get a copy of macdrive ($60 or so), which allows for windows to read mac formatted hard drives. There's a free demo available. It worked well for me the one time I needed to use it.