Sharing external HD with PC

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by smknappy, Nov 21, 2003.

1. smknappy macrumors member

Hi all,
    Sorry if any of my questions seem simple... brand new to the scene (as in yesterday I got my first mac).
    So my question is: I have a large external HD (USB 2.0 connection right now) that I was using to store lots of files on and would like to have those files available to my mac as well. Is there any way to do this or are the HD formats incompatable?
    Thanks!

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

We need more info than that.

Your external HD could be FAT32, NTFS, HFS, UFS, or HFS+

Are you talking about disconnecting the enclosure from the PC and hooking it into the Mac

or

Are you talking about sharing the external drive through the PC on a Network to the Mac?

if so...
    What OS is your PC

3. smknappy thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the lack of info...

I believe the HD is NTFS, though I could probably reformat it if a mutually readable format exists.

Ideally I'd like to be able to disconnect the enclosure and just plug it into my Mac.

PC is running WinXP.

Thanks!

4. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

5. smknappy thread starter macrumors member

Drive is 200GB... I couldn't find any mention of size limitations on MediaFour's website so I think I'll give it a try... Thank you!

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

A simpler way is to format your USB2 HD as FAT32. Panther can read NTFS, but not write to it. XP can only format 32GB FAT32 partitions, so you'll need to find a Win9x machine to format it. Unless OSX can format FAT32, but I haven't tried it.

EDIT: read that macdrive, and that seems like a better idea

7. kenyabob macrumors regular

Is there a mac app that will read drives from windows machine, not the other way around?