Sharing External Hdd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Razorhog, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I recently bought a Western Digital 320GB External Hard drive. It is currently attached to my windows xp machine. When I get a mac, can I back up the mac there as well? Maybe plug in the firewire to the mac and the usb to the xp box? Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It depends on what/how you want to back up..

First off, OS X cannot write to NTFS, so if it's formatted NTFS (which it probably is), you'll have to either reformat it FAT32 (and deal with it's limitations) or crate a separate partiotion for OS X to use, or reformat it HFS+ and buy MacDrive for the XP box.

If you want to clone your Mac to the external, then it HAS to be formatted HFS+ for it to be bootable (and therefore useful). Which gets you into option 2 and 3.

As far as having both the computer plugged into it at one time.. I don't think you can do that.

3. Razorhog thread starter macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I'm pretty sure it is FAT32. On the western digital website it says "Preformatted for Windows. Simple Mac formatting instructions included."

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

To me that means it's probably formatted NTFS and they include instructions on how to format it to HFS+ with a Mac. Just check it by getting it's properties in XP.

5. Razorhog thread starter macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I checked the properties and it is fat32. Does that mean I can hook it up to a Mac and read/write files from it, as long as they aren't over 4gb?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yep! Sure does!

Note that you cannot install OS X on it (or clone a bootable OS X to it).