Sharing external LaCie hard drive over network

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tech4all, Mar 1, 2005.

1. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Quick question here. Dad has an iBook with a external LaCie hard drive connected to it with firewire. Is it possible to share that external hard drive over the network for other computers to access (both read and write)?

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Yes it is. When you try to connect to his computer and type in the apporpriate password, it will ask which volumes to mount... Mount the Firewire hard drive (whatever the name is) I do it everyday.

kyle

3. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

Thanks for reply!

CORRECTION ON MY PART: The LaCie is connected to a Mac mini, not his iBook. Probably don't matter anyways.

I will try this, but on Sunday night I remember doing this and it only showed one volume to choose (I think it was the Public folder. It has his name as the volume name). I connected to it (as Guest), but nothing appeared in the Finder menu nor the desktop, however when I connected to his iBook it appeared fine in my Finder. But if I could get it working the way it should work, that would awesome and EASY :)

Also, when I do log onto another Mac, what is the difference between "Guest" and the other way that requires a name/password? And lastly, for the later option, what name/password to I enter?

btw: As it probably sounds, I'm not an expert on networking Macs together. I usually connect to the PCs on our network here at home.

4. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Whenever I connect to my wife's iMac and need complete access to the disk to read or write, I log in using her username/password. It logs in fine even if she's already logged in.

Make sure you have Personal File Sharing turned on in your system preferences.

You should see the disk in the list of volumes when you log into his computer.

5. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I am pretty sure the "guest" won't let you see her folder.... Yup that is right...

kyle

6. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

This is one thing that I always wondered about with networking in general. When connecting to a computer on a network you have to enter the name/password of the person who is currently logged to the computer you want to connect to? I always thought that you would enter your name/password of your own computer?

And this brings up another thing. I think when I connect to a PC on the network, I don't have to type in my password correctly and it still connects to the PC. What that about?

7. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

When connecting to another computer, that computer determines your 'rights' by the user/pass combination u use. Hence if u want full access to that computer u will have to use a user/pass combo which is set up on that computer (and set up its rights).

i think.

I don't know what happens when u connect to a PC. When i pumped over my tunes from the PC to my mini i just shared my win drive. I could enter it without even entering a password

8. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Ok, let's remember that these are PC's here, remember back in Win 98 when the Login window came up all you had to do was click "Cancel" and you were in the computer. Granted things have gotten a little better, but not much.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Actually you can login to another machine with ANY user/pass that exists on that machine, not just the person logged in. Granted some accounts have more permissions than others, so logging in as root for example could be dangerous and is not recommended.