Sharing files in Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by darwen, Aug 13, 2006.

1. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

I read the topic about sharing files between paralells but I think this is an entirely different problem.

How do I share files between by OSX partitian and my Windows one in Bootcamp? I have tried using the shared folder in windows but OSX cant write to it. Is there some sort of network drop box I can setup?

Sorry if this has already been covered.

Edit: This is the topic I was talking about http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=220857 ...it does not really mention a bootcamp setup. Or am I missing something?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The thread you linked is for Parallels, and has little relationship o your situation.

I just use my USB flash stick or an external FAT32 drive to swap files between OS X and XP in Boot Camp. Since you can read NTFS from OS X if you want to go from Windows to OS X just mount your Boot Camp partition. You only need to be able to write when you go the other way.

B

3. darwen thread starter macrumors 6502a

darwen

Ok, let me bring this one step further. I want to change the icon for my Windows partitian. I have the icon in both OSX format and windows format. How do I cange the icon? The Windows drive can only be read, not written to. Is there a way to change it in OSX? If I change it in Windows will it change it in OSX too? How do I change it in windows... I know how to do it in OSX.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You need to put a .VolumeIcon.icns file in the root of your Windows partition manually from Windows. Then it'll usually show up. I had to use a setfile command from Terminal to get that to work with my FAT32 USB key though...

Follow the links in the thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=207247

B

5. darwen thread starter macrumors 6502a

darwen

Ok, I went to the tutorial page but I am getting stuck on step two: http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Personalize_your_bootloader

Did that.

What is More Info? and how do I set a custom icon? Is this Copying the icon in Get Info?

I think I got that. I am lost from here though.

Sorry if I am missing the simple things here. I will keep trying.

6. nickel macrumors newbie

You can try MacDrive. Just make your XP partition as small as possible, so it fits a Page File, Programs and the OS itself and make the OSX partition as large as possible.

With MacDrive you can access your OSX drive. So use that as a data drive. I think that will work.

Mediafour MacDrive Website

7. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

Use MacDrive with care. It's better than it was when Bootcamp came out, but even with the latest patch I often (had 3 last week) get lock ups while accessing the OSX partition and usually after that there is corruption on the OSX drive. Back up often.

Their support has been a mixed bag. At one point in time they told me that various Windows programs were not supported and to take a hike. Seems to me you either provide a file system for Window or you don't. If an application that uses it crashes and works fine for NTFS and FAT, it's a MacDrive problem. They ultimately have acknowledged the problems and it's getting better, but it's still not something I'd run without daily back ups of critical data files.