Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SidBoggle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Bucks, UK
Hi, I have just set up a few Hue lights around the house and eveything is working brilliantly with homekit and the new ios 10 Home app/control center. I tried to invite my wife to share the setup and her home app/control center all gets updated with the lights but every light says "no response" underneath.

I tried lots of different things and then wondered if you need a hub for sharing your homekit setup. So I set up my ipad as a hub and everything now works! So my question is do you actually need a hub set up to share your setup? In all the apple guides I could not see this mentioned anywhere. It is not ideal as I do not have an Apple TV and this hub setup will only work when i have the ipad sitting at home.

Has anyone else successfully shared their setup without a hub? Thanks.

ksaipas

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
I am having the same problem with the only difference being that I have not setup my iPad as a hub. As such my wife's home app lists all hue bulbs as unresponsive.

SidBoggle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Bucks, UK
I'm glad it is not just me. You might want to try switching your iPad to a hub in Settings->Home (iOS 10 only I believe) and see if that also fixes your issue. I'm still confused if this whole thing is supposed to work like this - I'd like to know a bit more about what happens behind the scenes when you share your HomeKit setup.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
When I experimented with it during the beta using an unofficial bridge for LIFX bulbs, I did not need a hub to share. Can't speak for how it works now though

SidBoggle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Bucks, UK
Thanks for the input everyone. Hue released an update for the software and the bridge today and sharing now works without the bridge.

Reactions: GreyOS

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Thanks for the input everyone. Hue released an update for the software and the bridge today and sharing now works without the bridge.
just to clarify for my own understanding, do you mean an update to their bridge so it works without a hub? or do you not need their bridge any more?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.