Sharing internet connection between a powerbook and an iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by acearchie, Feb 18, 2007.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I have a powerbook with an airport card currently connected to my belkin network with broadband! Is there anyway I can share this with my ibook via ethernet to update some things?

Thanks

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yes! and very easily.

So your Powerbook is using the Airport card so you'll have to share the network through a wired ethernet cable.

On the powerbook go to System Preferences> Sharing, and find the Internet tab at the top. Under this you'll select Share internet connection on Airport and then check the box for Built-In Ethernet.

Now connect your iBook and PB together and set your iBook for an ethernet connection and you're all set.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thats what I believed until I have now done it and it hasn't worked! But I shall try and re-configure it! Thanks though!

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ultimately the easiest solution is to plug the iBook into your router. I am a bit surprised that the sharing advice didn't work. Does the iBook have DHCP enabled? Cause this sounds like a network setting problem.

Oh and good to know I helped you in the past as well with your PB (the old thread you bumped came to my attention).

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Yeh You have an uncanny knack for helping me with my networking problems!

Thanks!

I had a friend round who finnally got it to work! But im sure without his help aswell we would have been stuck! Thanks!