sharing internet connection on beige G3 with Quicksilver?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by barkmonster, Oct 23, 2005.

1. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

My current setup is a beige G3 with a cable modem and 120Gb drive. I've just bought a quicksilver G4 on eBay and don't want to have to get my ISP to come round and re-install my cable modem on the new mac because I'm moving out in the next few months & just plain can't be bothered with the hassle of it all!

Basically I'm going to be doing several things:

1. buying a NIC card for my beige G3 so I can share the mp3s and stuff on the 120Gb drive with my new mac.

2. Using the internet in both OS X & OS 9 on the G4, I'd prefer to just have the beige G3 turned on with the monitor off most of the time.

3. Sharing the USB keyboard & Mouse of the G4 with Beige G3 and posibly running my old 17" CRT monitor as a second display on the G4 and as the only display on the G3. I currently run the 17" CRT off the internal video and a 19" LCD as my main display through a Proformance III card so I'm getting used to 2 displays in protools a little too much these days!

I know to do all this I need a PCI network card, some network cable and a USB KVM switch. How would I go about making the G4 see the G3 as a direct internet connection?

2. barkmonster thread starter macrumors 68020

barkmonster