Sharing Internet Connection via Airport

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by applekid, Feb 26, 2004.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

Just got my Airport Card and a MacWireless 802.11b USB adapter.

My Bondi Blue iMac and iMac G4 were able to detect each other very easily. I got File Sharing working and so I backed up the files I needed from my iMac before I start to erase its HD. But unfortunately, I wasn't able to share the internet connection on my G4 iMac from my Bondi Blue iMac.

Now, my Bondi Blue iMac is still in 9.2.2, so I suspected the OS was the problem since my iMac is running OS X. I plan on installing Panther this weekend as long as my sticks of memory come. So, is it a problem with the OS incompatibilities or do I need to change some settings in TCP/IP (OS 9) or Network (OS X).

2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

My guess is that it's some settings. Networking has standards for just this reason, interconnecting different machines and operating systems, etc. But without seeing your settings, I'm not sure what it would need. Can you post screenshots?

cpjakes

3. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

No place to host screenshots.

In TCP/IP on the Bondi, I set it to use DHCP. In the MacWireless control panel, it finds my iMac G4 (not using a Base Station) among others in my apartment building.

In Network on the iMac G4, I've got my usual DSL connection set up through PPPoE for Built-in Ethernet. Under Airport, it is also set to DHCP. When both Macs are connected, I get an IP address.

In Sharing, I have Printer Sharing On, my Firewall On, and Internet Sharing On with the Airport checked and Built-in Ethernet selected for "share your connection from".

In the Menu Bar, the PPPoE is active and the Airport status icon has the up arrow since I'm sharing my internet connection.

I got this from the MacAddict How-to in Feb. 2003. Those computers were both OS X and had Airport Cards, so it was fine. Seems like a problem with the fact I have to use 3rd party software and 3rd party hardware in OS 9 and the other computer is running OS X and using a real Airport Card.

I'm going to install Panther soon, like I said, so that may fix the problem.

4. cpjakes macrumors 6502

If you're going to update anyway, there's not much point in trying to figure out the settings now. But if you want, you can attach images to your posts here.

5. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

One more thing...

It says in the Network Status part of Network: "Airport is connected to the network" <name here>. "Airport has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet."

Any suggestions?

I'll take screenshots some time.

6. cpjakes macrumors 6502

If you can fileshare, sounds like AppleTalk is working but DHCP is not. This is possible... I think the problem is on the OS X side of things, because that is your internet server/router. For the fun of it - can you connect with the MacWireless adapter to other networks you can see and get internet? If that's the case, I'd stay with my thought that it's something on the OS X internet sharing side.

7. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

As far as getting connected to other networks, I can get on to a router that is unprotected. There is another network, but it is protected. Using MacStumbler, I found two linksys routers (I'm assuming they are Linksys Routers). The signals are medium, but I can't successfully connect to any of them. I did connect to one at one point, but was unable to use the internet through the Airport alone.

So, what does this all mean?

8. beerguy macrumors regular

Try turning the firewall off. I discovered , while using a similar setup, that the Apple firewall applies the same rules to all interfaces on the machine. I installed NetBarrierX to allow me to run different rule sets on my internal and extermal interfaces.

9. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Wow! It works! Thanks!

10. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I've got a similar situation, except I've got the bondi blue imac wirelessly networked to my ibooks through a d-link wireless bridge connected to the ethernet port. The imac can go online when the ibooks have dialed the base station's modem, but I can't get the ibooks online when the imac's dialed up through its modem even with sharing enabled.

11. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

New problem...

My dad's Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000 with Windows XP will not jump on my network.

It has a Toshiba Wireless LAN PCI Card. I did a little research and I *believe* its a Orinoco card. I turned a little switch on to turn enable the wireless card, it finds the same routers, networks, and my own computer like the Airport card did. I try connecting, but it won't let me. It keeps going back to its same "Select a network" window and not the Status window. I play around with a few properties and still no good. So I was fed up with that...

Since my MacWireless USB Adapter was Windows compatible, I installed the drivers properly and had it loaded on the laptop. I then plugged the adapter in, did some more installing, then the little icon for Wireless Network Connection showed up. I clicked it, same dialog boxes, except this time I was connected. Then I check the status window and I get no address at first. Then, it becomes a 169.x.x.x IP Address. I try Repair and no good. Looks like my first problem all over again! So, I'm stuck and don't know what to do! Help!

I followed the instructions here to assist me, but obviously no good: http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/1000.html

12. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Yet another problem...

I've installed Panther on my Bondi Blue iMac and the MacWireless USB Adapter. I use WatLANX to create a connection between my G4 iMac and Bondi Blue iMac. Unfortunately, it connects, but does not allow me to go online or use anything on the network. HELP!

BTW, in the Network Preferences, it shows a IP address with 165 in the beginning. Not good.

13. cpjakes macrumors 6502

My final thoughts on this are to just get a wireless router. 802.11b routers are cheap, g is coming down if you need the speed. Then anything should work by default. I recommend Netgear's stuff...

Have you done the Panther upgrade yet?

14. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Yep, got all updates.

I'll have to see if my parents are willing to throw down another 60 bucks for a router. I was hoping to buy one, but I was trying to keep this wireless LAN and upgrading the iMac plan as cheap as possible

I'm assuming Netgear has high compatibility and cost-effective? I'll look into it. Thanks a lot!

15. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Search tigerdirect.com for Netgear, pretty good prices but you can shop around at other places. They've got a bundle of an 802.11b router and PCMCIA wireles card for $55. It's handy to have an extra card around if you have company with a laptop.

The other benefit to the router is that it can always be on, vs. losing connection when you restart your Mac or shut it down. Also, the router will provide better hardware protection against any hackers on broadband.

cpjakes