Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gilescarey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
Dear All,

I have just purchased a 1st generation mac mini off ebay and am very pleased with it. Am keen to get internet on it now

Am running it in same room as my Win XP machine. This has a wireless connection to my BT Home Hub which sits downstairs. I was wondering whether it was possible to share this connection with the MacMini simply with an ethernet cable? I really havent got the money now to go wireless with the MacMini, but would like some internet connectivity.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Giles

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
...running it in same room as my Win XP machine. This has a wireless connection to my BT Home Hub which sits downstairs. I was wondering whether it was possible to share this connection with the MacMini simply with an ethernet cable?

yes, simple 'crossover' cable will do the trick. note, NOT a 'patch' cable.

before you plug in the mini, open network in xp control panel, click on network connections. there should be at least the two, wireless and ethernet (local area connection), if there are more don't worry about them.

your internet is the wireless, so we want to share the ethernet (local area connection). right click on the ethernet connection, and click on properties. click on the advanced tab, and put a check mark in the 'allow other users to connect..' box in the middle. click on ok and wait.

this setup will not make any change to your wireless, but will set your ethernet adapter to a static ip (192.168.0.1), and turn on DHCP. your xp ethernet adapter will function like the router for your mini, so the mini will have the xp ethernet address (192.168.0.1) in the 'router' box if everything works right.

plug in the mini, make sure it is set for DHCP, enjoy!

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Dear All,

I have just purchased a 1st generation mac mini off ebay and am very pleased with it. Am keen to get internet on it now

Am running it in same room as my Win XP machine. This has a wireless connection to my BT Home Hub which sits downstairs. I was wondering whether it was possible to share this connection with the MacMini simply with an ethernet cable? I really havent got the money now to go wireless with the MacMini, but would like some internet connectivity.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Giles

Are you sure you do not have Airport already built in? All mine do.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
yes, simple 'crossover' cable will do the trick. note, NOT a 'patch' cable.

Are you sure? I would've thought any ethernet cable will be fine because the Macs have dynamic ports and can account for the direction. I could be wrong though, plus it's a moot point anyway. :eek:

gilescarey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
thanks for replies.

am having trouble with my normal patch cable. will have to get a crossover i think.

the xp machine says lan now connected, but the mac doesn't 'see' the win machine at all.

cheers
giles

gilescarey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
now xp can see the mac and transfer files to it. however, the mac cannot see the pc and there seems to be no way of sharing internet connection. anyone got any ideas?

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
now xp can see the mac and transfer files to it. however, the mac cannot see the pc and there seems to be no way of sharing internet connection. anyone got any ideas?

gilescarey, have you set anything up to be shared from the PC (like a drive or folders)? Otherwise, I don't think you'd see it on the Mac. The Mac has to have Windows Sharing (in System Preferences) turned on for you to see it on the PC.

gilescarey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
gilescarey, have you set anything up to be shared from the PC (like a drive or folders)? Otherwise, I don't think you'd see it on the Mac. The Mac has to have Windows Sharing (in System Preferences) turned on for you to see it on the PC.

already done. but no luck. and im only trying to share internet connection anyway...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.