Sharing Internet from mac to a pc

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by EGT, Jul 13, 2004.

1. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    Hi there

I've had my home network set up for a while now from the guideline pinned at the top of this forum. It works fine from both PC or mac in terms of file sharing. The only problem I have is that I cannot share the Internet from the mac to the pc (connect to the internet from mac).
    I can access the internet on the mac when i connect to it through the PC but i need to be able to connect on the mac and use it through the pc.

Windows sharing is on, sharing internet through ethernet etc is all on btw. Any ideas why i can't access the Internet on the pc from the mac?

Any help is appreciated!

2. micsaund macrumors 6502

May 31, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    I don't have an exact answer for you, but one bit of advice if you are using high-speed service: keep an eye out for a good deal on a standalone router (D-link, LinkSys, Netgear) and get one of those if you can spare the cash. Once you do, you simply plug that into the internet connection and then the PC and Mac into the router's hub/switch and everything works. No more futzing with Winbloze ICS, you don't have to have the Win machine turned-on to surf with the Mac, etc. Overall, it's cleaner, simpler, and more reliable. I see that you're in the UK, but as a reference, you can get decent routers (some with wireless) here in the US for around $10-$30 after rebates/sales/etc. Since you're using wired connections anyway, you don't really need one with wireless, although it won't hurt to get a wireless-capable model (and just disable the radio for now).

But, if you're using dial-up, you'll either have to get an answer from someone other than me ;) or perhaps consider using my advice above with a router that has a built-in dial-up modem (the Apple Airport base stations have modems, don't they?)

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Can you clarify how you have the computers connected? I'm lost.