sharing internet to pc

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sach504, Nov 8, 2003.

1. macrumors member

can i set it up so that my mac is a server on a pc network.... so that the all the PCs connect to the internet through the mac? how?

2. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Since 10.2, you've had the option to enable internet sharing in System Preferences.

Just curious as to why you want to do this instead of using a dedicated router.

3. macrumors member

im on dial up.

4. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

You can find some older routers that are dial-up capable, but let's pursue your options with your current set up.

Under System Preferences>Sharing>Internet, you can route network traffic from your modem coming in to go out your ethernet port. The trick then becomes splitting that out for your PCs - you'll probably want a switch.

5. macrumors member

well currently i am set up like this

pc connected to the internet > ethernet hub> 2 macs and another pc

what i want is to be directly connected on the mac and the other computers access the internet through it. i tried just turning internet sharing on but just that didn't work.

6. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

OK, here's how I'm envisioning your setup to work w/ sharing through the Mac:

dial up -> Mac -> ethernet hub -> 2 PCs and other Mac

In 10.3 you set up sharing as follows:
    Select to "Share your connection from:" the Internal Modem, and then select Built-in Ethernet under "To computers using", then click Start.

It might be slightly different under 10.2.