Sharing iTunes libraries across networks

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by benjaminpg, Apr 29, 2003.

1. benjaminpg macrumors regular

I have two computers, an iMac 350, and an iBook 700. There is also an airport network setup between the two computers. The iMac has an 80 GB hard drive, separating into four partitions, about 20 GB each. I would like to establish one library on one of these partitions, and be able to access them from both machines.

This sounds simple, just enable the Rendezvous sharing, but this solution has two problems for me. First of all, I would like to edit the library from the iBook, adding AACs, and editing ID3 tags, for instance.

The other problem is that both machines are set up with multiple users, and I would like all users to be able to access and add songs to the library. Because they are set up for multiple users, there is often not a user logged in, making it impossible to run iTunes on the iMac at all times.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might go about implementing this? It seems like I ought to be able to just mount the volume through AFP, but there seems like there ought to be a smoother process. I have also seen the iCommune app mentioned. Would this be of help?

Thanks

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

for the multiple users part...create a new folder outside of any user folders and place all of your music there, such as /volumes/harddrive/newmusicfolder

then in itunes on that machine, go to the preferences and click 'advanced' now go and find the directory you put all the music in.

now just set that folder in the ituens preferences for all users.

3. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

can this new sharing feature be done over the net, say from my computer to school???

4. benjaminpg thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I realized that. The more problematic part is sharing it over a network.

Thanks though,
    Benjamin