sharing iTunes libraries among multiple users

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Perushka, May 6, 2004.

1. Perushka macrumors newbie

I love iTunes, but ever since my dad and I have gotten iPods (we just ordered my mom a 15gb), I have wanted to share the same music library with two users, so that whenever one user imports something it appears in the other user's library. Both users would have the same music, but they can sync their iPod in their own user name and have different songs checked. I just don't see myself having two copies of my 10gb+ music library on the same computer. There must be a way...

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There is. Put your library in the Users/Shared folder. Then go into iTunes. In the Advanced tab of your preferences there is a place to choose the location of your music. Browse to your new locations and there you go. Each user will have to set up iTunes this way in their account.

3. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I have used a method similar to this, however every time a change is made in one user, it isn't updated in the other user's itunes. For instance, if you add a file to the library, it won't show up in the other user's library untill they add it too. At least that was how it was before 4.5, does anybody have any newer experience?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah you have to keep 'em updated seperatly. I've not found a way around that yet. It's easy enough to select all and drag 'em in though. The duplicates get filtered out.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

6. Perushka thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for that advice very much. I can't believe that I didn't find the how to on the web in the first place.

7. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

I was so excited to see how to finally do this. This is a dead link.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Its also from almost 5 years ago. ;)