Sharing iTunes library between two Users

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GrandMan, Apr 19, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

There are two users on my iMac running Tiger. I would like to have one iTunes library that is updated on both users when something new is added.

Example :

User 1 adds new album to library - Album is added to library on User 2's side.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

Laurence

2. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Create a Music folder in ~/Users/Shared and point both users' iTunes apps to use that folder (iTunes --> Preferences --> Advanced --> General).

3. macrumors 6502a

User 1 - logged in, iTunes running, sharing enabled
    User 2 - shares user 1 iTunes
    Will only work if all music is added by User 1
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it does work (use it to stream music over airport express, while listening to other music at the computer)

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

5. macrumors 6502a

hey, that sounds like a better idea...

6. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep, it's how my fianceé and I do it on an iBook that we share...works beautifully.

7. macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Why can we do this with iTunes but not iPhoto?

8. macrumors 6502

orbital~debris

I currently have the same setup (1 library stored in the Shared folder, with 2 iTunes in different user accounts pointed at it) and it works OK if you remember to periodically 'Add To Library' in both accounts. This method allows you to have separate playlists & ratings etc.

The only disadvantage I have found (and still have not resolved :mad: ) is that something to do with this method has caused iTunes to not work in my girlfriend's account for things like playing music in iPhoto slideshows… The tracks are visible, but simply refuse to play when double-clicked.

Anyone else had the same problem? Any ideas how to fix it?

9. macrumors 6502a

Oryan

You should be able to change the iPhoto library by editing the plist file in (username) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.iPhoto.plist

The property is called RootDirectory. You will have to manually copy your files to the new directory though.

edit- ok, this doesn't quite work. Once you change the RootDirectory path, you have to relaunch iPhoto and use it's prompt to create a new directory in Users/Shared. Then copy your old library to the new folder that was created.

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Will I still have to manually add to library what is added on the other user?

11. macrumors 6502

orbital~debris

Yes you will, but if you just remember to do it every now & then, it only takes a few seconds.
    The main advantage is that it's cool to be able to have your own playlists & ratings, yet still both have all the same music available.
    Again, the downside is that it seems to break integration with other iLife apps… I still have no idea how to fix it (having tried quite a lot!)