Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrobat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
How do I share my iTunes library located on my osx hard drive with windows. I want to share the library with out transferring my itunes music to my windows hard drive

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
macrobat said:
How do I share my iTunes library located on my osx hard drive with windows. I want to share the library with out transferring my itunes music to my windows hard drive

Stick your library on an external hard drive making sure it's formated in such a format that your computer can read it on both hard disks. I suspect the partition should be FAT32.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
EDIT: Never mind. I think you are planning on a dualboot solution and my idea would not work.

macrobat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
well I want to put my itunes library on a external 200 gig hard drive so I cant do the FAT32. Should I format it in disk utility as a msdos drive so both mac and windows can read it? Also is it possible if I am succesfull to import my already made playlist to windows?

macrobat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
Ok got it! and to those who were on the edge of your seat wondering if, when and how I was going to be able to do it, here it is. I exported my mac itunes library.xml and copied that and my itunes library onto my external drive. Oh forgot to mention I partitioned the external drive as a ms-dos boot disc in disk utility. This formated the drive as a FAT32 drive even though it was a 120gig drive.This is done so both windows and mac can access the drive since they both can read/write to FAT32. So then booted into windows and directed itunes to my external drive as its library source. I then proceeded to import the library.xml it imported all my playlists and album artwork. People have probably figured this out already but just in case some of you out there like me hadnt caught on yet I posted this for you. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.