Sharing methods between views

Discussion in 'iPhone/iPad Programming' started by nathanlloyd, Mar 12, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Hi guys, I've searched through the forums for an answer to this but can't find an answer that hits the nail on the head.

I started an app and added methods to my main UITableViewController but I'm now discovering that other UITableViewControllers could borrow the methods I added for the first.

What's the best way to share code amongst these? I'm guessing I need another file in my project, but I'm not sure what type of file this would be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502

Without knowing the exact code you intend on sharing, the simplest solution would be to create a common UITableViewController subclass that contains the methods you wish to share. You should then inherit from that controller throughout your application where appropriate.

3. macrumors 6502

You could also see if categories will work for your situation.

4. nathanlloyd, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

thread starter macrumors member

OK, so is that perfectly acceptable even though no UITableViewController will ever be attached directly to it?

Sorry just to explain a little more, the shared code is a method that extracts data from JSON and dumps it in a NSMutableArray that the Views then use.

5. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

This sounds like code that is better suited to being implemented in the Model part of your MVC design.

6. thread starter macrumors member

OK, I'll do some more research into MVC design.

Thanks for your help.

7. thread starter macrumors member

MVC - this is precisely what I need to implement so I can share code across my views.

My question is: When I'm adding my model files, what kind of files are they? I know that might not make sense, but for example when I'm adding class files, I make them of type NSObject. Do these files that hold my methods need to be of a particular type?

8. macrumors 6502

In the simplest case your model is just a subclass of NSObject. There is no rule that dictates this (obviously wouldn't be a subclass of something like UIView) and it can depend on the framework you're using (e.g. CoreData models are subclasses of NSManagedObject).

In your case it sounds like a simple subclass of NSObject is all you need.

9. thread starter macrumors member

Cheers ppilone,

I'll try this tonight.

Thanks for everyone's input.