Sharing my wireless - but making people sign up?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by livingfortoday, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Ok, so I've spent a good deal of time searching the forums, but I can't seem to find the specific answer I'm looking for.. so, sorry, but here's another "networking help needed!" topic.

I've been traveling a lot lately, and I thought to myself, why not leave my wireless network open for people to around me to be able to use while I'm not using it? I don't want a month's worth of internet to go to waste, you know? But then I started worrying that someone might get up to no good on my network, and what if there were a way that I could track who got on the network? Not necessarily what they did or where they went, but just maybe make people set up a user name to get on the network? It'd be free, since I just want to do this every now and then, and can't resell my internet service like that, but I have no clue where to begin. Does anyone have any ideas about how I could set something like this up, or even if it's a good idea?

Edit: The other problem is, I've been looking through my Terms of Service, and I'm not sure, but I feel that doing this (even for free, as I am planning), would violate those terms:

Thoughts, suggestions, profanity, general assistance? Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

That sounds cool, but unfortunately I use Comcast, which apparently won't go along with this.

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Not sure if this is an option or if it's even workable, but if it's people you know you could set up MAC Address filtering through your router - basically only allowing specific devices to connect, even if they have correct login details. Means you retain a bit of control as to who uses the network.

5. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Well, I'd want anyone in my building to be able to use it, I just want to be able to see who did, later, in case I ever need to be able to show that numerous people used my connection. I suppose I am still technically at fault since it is *my* connection they're using, it still seems like it might be a little bit of a deterrent.

If I can't do a login page, maybe I could just have a page pop up when people get on that asks them not to do stupid, illegal things? And then has a little "OK" button they'd have to click? Just to shame them into doing the right thing.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If they won't allow FON, it's also doubtful they'll allow you to share it when you roll your own sharing solution.

B

7. tabaczka macrumors member

Its like sharing cable. Its illegal. They consider Wi-Fi the same thing as a cable. Obviously drilling holes to all of your buildings computers and giving them all ethernet cords is illegal.

Its nice of you to want to help other people. In this case it might be better to just leave the network empty...

If your want to use your internet while you are gone. Try looking for some distributed computing projects (there is a piticularly good one for cancer somewhere on the net). Or maybe download and seed some bittorrent files of interest to you?

8. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

It is not illegal; it just contravenes the terms of service which he agreed to when signing up with his provider. Which means they would have to discover the breach and terminate the contract, triggering any other clauses (such as demand for full payment of the outstanding subscription).

9. tabaczka macrumors member

Well.. maybe its just me but getting my internet stripped from me is as bad as getting in trouble with the law, so illegal could be used to discribe a breech of contract. :p

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'd just like to add that drilling holes for ethernet cables isn't illegal either, although it might really, really tick off your landlord. Also, I think it's funny that you're suggesting downloading off Bittorrent as a legal alternative to breach of contract - not that Bittorrent is by definition piracy, but there is sure a good overlap.

You could think about finding a different ISP. I know for example that there's a freenet in Ottawa that offers ADSL for cheaper than the normal sources, and allows web hosting and sharing and all the goodies to boot.

11. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok, well, everything aside (I found the Bittorrent thing funny too, btw) - would it be possible to do the starting page that people would see when they got on my network? Even if I don't ever share my network, this would be cool to know how to do.

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Stealing or assisting others to steal cable TV/Internet is a Federal crime in the United States.

13. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Too late! The authorities have been notified and you are going to JAIL.

14. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh noes!

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

As I stated in my previous post, it's illegal, and you know MacRumors rules. ;)

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Emphasis mine:
    http://www.twctheft.com/TypeOfTheft.aspx

This is covered under 47 USC 533.

17. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

What if he asked for payment of 1 cent per month? Then he wouldn't be providing free access to his wireless broadband. Would that be illegal? (I'm honestly curious)

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes. Essentially, it is stealing from the cable company, not the paying subscriber.

19. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Well, if this is gonna break the law, then let's lock this thread down. Thanks for the heads up, everybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.