Sharing net connection with windows xp and Mac OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by corwintheking, Aug 7, 2005.

1. corwintheking macrumors newbie

Apr 30, 2005
    I had a pc which is operating with Windows Xp. Then I decided to switch mac and got a brand new ibook G4. That's probably the best decision I had about computers :D . Everything was going fine, I could do everything I need with ibook at my dormitory. But when I came back to home, life became a little bit complicated:eek:

My sister now using my old pc and cable modem is connected to the pc. Both of us want to stay connected net all the time, but there's a little problem that modem has only one ethernet port. I don't want to replace modem with another one or buy a switch,hub, smt else.. But I thought that there might be another solution. I bought another ethernet card for the pc. I plugged the card to the pc. Cable modem connected to pc with the old onboard ethernet card and my ibook connected to pc through new ethernet card with a cross networking cable. I tried to use some kind of a proxy program which is named as Analog Proxy X. Yeah, it works; but it's very unstable. It just doesn't open the webpages like %60 of the time. So I tried to share internet connection of pc without using proxy but couldn't succeed with it. To be honest I don't know what to do. Is there anyone who can help me about that?
  2. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2002
    Anywhere but here
    I know you said that you don't want to buy a router. But in this case, buying one is the simplest solution to your problem. Wireless routers are really cheap nowadays (around 30 bucks after rebate). It literally takes less than five minutes out of the box to set it up.

If you are using windows xp you can use Internet Conncection Sharing if you don't want to buy a router.

Here is a link on how to do this: