Sharing One Monitor - Mac and PC?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by triton, Sep 21, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2003
    Is there any easy way to connect a Mac and PC to one VGA monitor? - Without singal/color degradation?

THX in advance!
  2. macrumors 68000

Sep 19, 2003
    Minnesota USA
    My setup has a 17" monitor that the pc normally uses and a 21" monitor my mac is normally on. I wanted to allow my pc to switch to the 21" monitor for Director and PowerPoint work. Sharing two monitors with two computers requires two switchboxes. At setting AA, it's pc/17 and mac/21, at BB, it's pc/21 and mac/off. I can't get the mac to show up on the 17" monitor because it requires an adapter that I don't want to use for the 21".

In short, you need a switchbox with monitor ports to switch the monitor between the pc and mac. I picked mine up at the local computer parts fair because places like CompUsa and Best Buy didn't carry a monitor switchbox. You can probably find one online for less than $20.
  3. macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    KVM swtich will allow: two computers, 1 monitor, 1 keyboard and 1 mouse.

Very handy.

A monitor swtich will work as well .
  4. macrumors 65816

Jul 15, 2001
    Re: Sharing One Monitor - Mac and PC?

The aforementioned KVM switch will do the trick - however it might not be necessary. I have a Sony TFT 17" X72 (I think) - and it has 2 DVI inputs, so you could get DVI-->VGA converters, hook it up to two computers, then I just hit the switch button on the front. I've seen this on Formac monitors too (CRT ones).

5. macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2003
    London, Ontario
    KVM switch as already said and a logitech keyboad.. That way you can still have your apple only keys.

Thats what i have going on at home.