Sharing photos across accounts in iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jiddick ExRex, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

So I want to share photos between 3 different accounts using iPhoto. However, everytime I click 'sharing' in the preferences, the system wants me to shut down the firewall (because the port 6770 (!?) needs to be accessed). I don't want to shut down the firewall. I tried enabling sharing iPhoto via. Bonjour option (enabling the port) but it still doesn't work. How do I get around this issue? It's absolutely essential the sharing works...

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You mean, share on the local computer? The "Sharing" feature in iPhoto is for sharing over your network, not between accounts on the local machine. If you want to share those photos, you'll need to put them in a folder accessible to all three accounts, meaning you'd need to change the iPhoto library location to some other place. Can you even do that? :confused:

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think you're muddling a lot of loosely related concepts together....

Do you mean that you want:

A) To be able to have multiple users with different accounts able to access the same iPhoto library on the same computer?

or

B) To be able to have users on other computers on the local network be able to see the iPhoto library from their computers?

If you want (A), here is a guide.

If you want (B), you have to suck it up and open the respective ports in the firewall...

4. Jiddick ExRex thread starter macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Yes I mean local. If it's that simple, I will pull some of my hair out, maybe even some pubic hair. But of course, I did the excact same thing with the shared iTunes library. I will check it out, thank you!!! :)

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

As a side note, if it's B and you already have a NAT router to share your Internet connection to said other computers, you really don't need the Mac's firewall on in the first place anyway.

6. Jiddick ExRex thread starter macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

It was A) and thank you very much for the useful guide!!! :D

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sure! It's preferable that you follow the directions in the guide that I linked, because otherwise you may end up with a mess because of differing file privileges (e.g. right now, your iPhoto library "belongs" to one only one user).

8. Jiddick ExRex thread starter macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Yeah, it's a whole new world for me to enter with having 4 different user on the same system and how to give them the correct permissions and access I'll tell ya that!! :rolleyes:

I will guard the guide safely!

9. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

:eek:
    Pardon for bringing attention back to this, but WHAT?????
    I need to go vomit now.
    :eek:

10. Jiddick ExRex thread starter macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Sorry for my vulgarity, it's just that pulling ordinary head hair out doesn't hurt enough and going to the 'Netherlands' might help me learn to think more logically next time.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan