Sharing Printer from Mac to XP Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by infinity4ever, Jan 26, 2006.

1. infinity4ever macrumors newbie

I would like to connect my Printer (HP 7130) to my Mac Mini and share it with my XP computer. Both computer are connected to a linksys router. I connected the printer via USB to the Mac and shared the printer. I loaded the drivers on both. I can print directly from my Mac. I can see the printer on my windows. I added it to windows. When I go to print from windows, the job seems to spool, but never prints. When I look at the print jobs from my Mac Mini, it says they completed.

I think I must have missed a step, but I can't figure out what else I need to configure.

Thanks!

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I believe I have the same problem and as far as I've been able to find out, there's a known issue with HP Printers requiring the same driver version on all machines - unfortunately that's not possible with a PC/Mac combo.

I've tried Bonjour as well, it finds the printer etc, unfortunately it didn't sort the printing issue out.

3. Timepass macrumors 65816

Other suggestion is try it the other way around. Connect the printer to the XP computer and see how that works. Windows my handle it differntly than the mac. I know on windows when sharing printer you can choose to upload drivers to other OS on to the XP computer so when lets say a non XP OS connects try to connect to the printer it will give it drivers relity to its OS (like windows 95 98 and so on)
    I dont think it a problem relating to XP it self those. It could be like said about a printer issue. But it is worth a shot trying it the other way around just to see how it works.
    Networking is just a pain to do at times. It is a hit or miss thing. When it works it wonderful but some times it just some stupid setting that make it royal pain to deal with. Weather those things be in the OS or the router. Ok so I am really having issue doing some more advance routing and I have not trace the problem down if is OS related or router related or just plannly both. I am leaning on it is a router issue but then again what I am doing is not something most people would ever dream of doing.

4. infinity4ever thread starter macrumors newbie

Would Airport Express be the best option?

A friend suggested it?

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

So you tried Bonjour?