Sharing stuff from mac to PC - other than homes directory

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by geekrific, Jan 26, 2004.

1. geekrific macrumors newbie

Here is the scenario - I am green with mac so bear with me..

There are 3 volumes on this mac: OS 10, OS 9, and Projects.

I can successfully share folders other than the homes directory on the OS 10 volume to the pc by going and modifying the smb.conf file. I want to share the Projects volume - and everything in it. Is there a way to use the terminal tweaking to point to the shares to the Projects volume? I have the projects volume shared on the network with all privleges on but still can't figure out how to make the windows pc see it.

I can see the PC on the MAC fine...

Thanks....

ps- can you describe what a volume is?

:D

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

A volume is simply a logical representation of a drive.

Let's say you have one hard disk, and have 2 partitions on it. You could then mount, or make it visible to the OS and users, it as 2 volumes. This is similar to a drive letter in Windows.

If you go to the terminal, and type 'mount' (without the apostrophes), it will give you a list of the currently mounted filesystems. Simply find the Projects volume (probably /Volumes/<something>) and add that to your smb.conf. Do not use the /dev/disk... reference as that is a partition link, and you need the volume link.

Hope that helps.

Tom

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I hear Sharepoints is good, you might want to try that. Search Versiontracker.com

4. geekrific thread starter macrumors newbie

THANK YOU - TOMF87!!

Dear tomf87,

Thanks for your info on what a volume is AND how to retrieve the path information IT WORKED!!

I was so stuck on that dang path - thanks for the help.

Thank you!!

:D