sharing stuff...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by krossfyter, Aug 23, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

alright i currently have a rev b tibook in which i always use mac osx... a c60 epson printer and a 2450 epson scanner and a cable modem. my friends (whom live in the same apartment as i) want to get a new mac..probably a new iMac. my question is.... how can i have the two puters share the same printer and cable modem?? should i get jaquar..will this solve the problem? whats up guys... how could i do this...or can i?

2. dnte42 macrumors regular

As for the cable modem, I can give you a positive. Jaguar lets you share one computer's 'net connection with others connected in a LAN. My friend shared my 56k the other day...it actually worked better than I would have expected. I can't really help you with the printer problem tho.

3. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

A couple of ways...

There are a couple of ways to approach this problem. First, let's talk connection:

If you have money to spend, a great (and VERY easy) way to get the shared cable connection is with an AirPort Base Station and an AirPort card in each machine. OR just get the two airport cards alone, and use the iMac as a Software Base Station (Available ONLY in OS 9 or in Jaguar). Either of these will allow you to share that cable modem.

The other option is to use a ethernet router, which I am not that familiar with, but many on these forums are.

Problem 2-Printer. If it is a USB printer from Epson, it will work with USB printer sharing in Jaguar. Connect the printer to the iMac, and adjust the setting in System Prefs for Printers. This, also, is ONLY for OS 9 or Jaguar.

Gus

4. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay cool. the problem of the modem is solved with the router. the printer problem im a little confused on. okay the epson is usb... only one port though... so i connect the imac to that port and what about the other puter?? do i just buy a usb hub with 4 ports on the outside or whatever and 2 ports on the pther side?? they dont sell that kind of stuff though right? so im a little confused on the connection issue i guess. obviously i have to get jaquar to make it all work because basic osx will not make it work right?

5. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Right

USB printer sharing does not work with 10.0-10.1.5. Only in Jaguar. The way it's supposed to work is that while the printer is plugged into the iMac with an AirPort card or through LAN, the other computer can "share" the printer without being physically connected. It's remote printing basically. Kind of like a school computer lab or office lab.

Gus

6. pbailey macrumors newbie

pbailey

PC Printer Sharing

Has anyone had any success with a Mac accessing a shared PC USB printer (Canon BJ-8200) using OS 10.2 jaguar?

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Can you share a Epson USB printer from a Jaguar computer to an OS 9 computer?

irmongoose

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

With Rendezvous to find the printer and CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System) to help you use it, an Ethernet connection (faster) or AirPort connection (easier) would be all you'd need to share the printer with Jaguar on both machines.

9. magneto465 macrumors newbie

Re: PC Printer Sharing

I haven't I'm trying to share an Epson820 on my G4 DP 867 connected thru LAN, an I book connected thru Airport can't see the printer.
    but I'm aslo having problems with just the local USB printing from the G4 to the Printer.
    has any one beens successful at sharing printers thru USB and LAN

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Whoa, whoa. Don't try plugging the printer into both computers at once-- i'm quite sure this will cause problems. USB carries power on it's bus and i think you could fry a USB controller doing it. Tho i'm not a USB expert, anyone confirm or deny this?

You know, with the hassle of printer sharing, i actually miss the days of LocalTalk... remember how easy that was?? Cheap adaptors, regular phone cables, nice setup under system 7. Ah... *goes down memory lane*

:)
    pnw

11. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Printer Sharing In A Nutshell

It's easy! I promise.

1. Install 10.2 on all machines.

2. Make sure all machines are connected to network.

3. Make sure all machines have very latest printer drivers - check manufacturer page to be sure.

4. Plug in printer to main machine. I'm using an HP with no problems, so it's not just Epsons.

5. On all other machines:
    - In Sharing Prefs, turn on printer sharing
    - In Network Prefs, type "local." in the Search Domains box

6. You're done! You may need to add the printer through the Printer Panel, but likely not.

Ta-da! Told you it was easy. :D