Sharing the new 20 inch Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by iJon, Jan 29, 2003.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ok boys and girls, here is my question. My mom is getting me a new 20 inch apple monitor and a new dual 1.25 to replace my dual ghz mdd. I also have a PC desktop with a Geforce4ti4400 with dvi and vga. here is what i want to do, i want to share the monitor between both of them. here are the two ways i can go. I can buy the monoswitch adc and the adc to dvi connector from apple. that is the most expensive way. or i could get the moniswitch dvi from dr bott and the adc to dvi connector from apple. the thing is when i called dr bott they said the dvi moni swith is only compatible with the 15 inch dvi apple monitor. what i dont know is if this is true or just a marketing statement to get you to buy the adc switch. i dont have one at work to play with. any body here have one that can tell me. any other solutions are welcome to and always the simple "screw it, its very complicated, keep two monitors" will do. thanks guys.

iJon

2. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

First of all, is your mom adopting? Cause I'd gladly take you "old" dual ghz off your hands ;)

If the monitor requires 10.2, are you sure it will work on a PC (you didn't say windows or linux, but still)

Does ADC offer anything substantial over DVI, or is it just some apple thing for the USB? If not, get the DVI adapter for the monitor, and get a DVI switchbox. If there is something better about AVI, i say get a cheap LCD for your other computer and leave the Apple monitor alone. JMHO, YMMV.

3. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

my mom always does this with the computers. I will ahve a dual 1.25, a 20 inch lcd, and im getting a 12 inch powerbook, whenever these 3 products are updated, we sell them and i get the new equvilent of that. but anyways. the pc is windows, the 23 and 22 inch displays work with windows so i dont see why thesewouldnt. but if it doesnt it really doesnt matter, if it doesnt work ill just keep my old apple 20 inch crt.

iJon

4. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

The new 20" specifically states "Jaguar 10.2 required", so definately not OS9 (but the computer wont boot 9 either, but anyway) It might work, so if you try it, make sure the place you buy it from has a good return policy.

5. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

i order directly from apple, my parents have an authorized apple dealer so i wont be returnign anything. i think it will work with windows, if it doesnt ill just keep my other 20 inch apple monitor aroudn as well.

iJon

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

DVI is a standard, right? so if you were to, say, use the 20" as a second monitor through your PowerMac's DVI card, it wouldn't be any different than a PC DVI port, right?

So why would it require 10.2? I'm thinking they're just doing a little forced obsolescence here, i would almost bet that it would work on a PC through a DVI adaptor...

there's really no reason you should have to have two monitors on your desk, especially one as expensive as the studio display...

:)
    pnw

7. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

thats my point, i have a 17 apple studio display crt and a 20 inch apple vision monitor from back in the day. I was just hoping to just use the 20 on a kvm switch using stuff from dr bott and the apple adc to dvi thing. The problem I was having though is, I would like to use the dvi kvm switch instead of the adc kvm switch and save 100 dollars. The problem is that Dr bott says the dvi switch only works with apple's 15 inch dvi display, and i dont know if it is true or not. I would use IO Gears kvm switch but theres doesnt go as high of rez as the 20 inch will go. I was just seeing if anybody knew if any other monitor other than the 15 inch dvi apple display would work on that dr bott kvm switch.

iJon

8. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

9. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Apparently it will work with Mac OS 9. Check this MacInTouch story

10. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

thats pretty slick, ill have to look into it. i have found out what i am going to do though. when my 20 comes in, i gonna go take one of apples converters off the shelf and try it out on my pc, if my games play good (which im wondering since this is a wide screen) i will purchase the kvm switch and drop these monitors. but if it doesnt work ill just give my mom back the 17 inch studio crt and keep this crap applevision 20 inch around and wait till a good screen with a fast enough pixel refresh rate comes out for my pc. by the way, does anyone know the pixel refresh rate on apple's monitors, all they say is "lightning fast" i know they are good and wil run games, i was just curious to know a number to exact comparisons. i may just call apple and ask.

iJon