Sharing Wireless Internet from Airport

Discussion in 'Games' started by Virtualball, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Virtualball macrumors 6502

I don't have access to the router because..ahem...it's not my wireless internet :) But I was wondering, since the signal isn't that strong, can I share the Wireless internet over the airport is that not available?

2. gmr04 macrumors newbie

While I have not tried it, I believe it is available. System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet. Turn Internet Sharing on, and select to share your internet connection from airport. Select the checkbox in To Computers Using titled "Built-In Ethernet". Plug in your device (assuming its a wii, ps3, or 360) or other computer. If you are trying to use vonage or other voip, I believe the router may need to be configured more specifically.

You should also be able to purchase an inexpensive wireless router and configure it to act as a network extender, thereby allowing for other devices to access it from its ethernet ports as well as allowing a better signal to the wireless internet you're "ahem" borrowing.

3. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I'm confused as to what you're asking. Do you mean can you use your airport as a kind of wireless range extender? I don't think so...

What Apple does let you do is "Internet Sharing". But it can't take an airport signal and re-transmit it. What it can do is share a wired connection by transmitting it over Airport. Or take a *wireless* connection and share it over ethernet.

I do the latter plenty of times, believe it or not. Why would I ever want to take a wireless connection and share it over ethernet, you might ask? The reason is because my work computer has wireless disabled, and the only router I have is an Airport Express which has no ethernet output ports. So what I do is enable internet sharing on my MacBook, and connect my work computer to my MacBook with ethernet. Presto - I now can use my work computer from my bedroom even though the cable modem and Airport Express are in the living room.