Sharing Wireless Internet from Airport

Discussion in 'Games' started by Virtualball, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Virtualball macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2006
    I don't have access to the router's not my wireless internet :) But I was wondering, since the signal isn't that strong, can I share the Wireless internet over the airport is that not available?
  2. gmr04 macrumors newbie

Nov 15, 2006
    While I have not tried it, I believe it is available. System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet. Turn Internet Sharing on, and select to share your internet connection from airport. Select the checkbox in To Computers Using titled "Built-In Ethernet". Plug in your device (assuming its a wii, ps3, or 360) or other computer. If you are trying to use vonage or other voip, I believe the router may need to be configured more specifically.

You should also be able to purchase an inexpensive wireless router and configure it to act as a network extender, thereby allowing for other devices to access it from its ethernet ports as well as allowing a better signal to the wireless internet you're "ahem" borrowing.
  3. lmalave macrumors 68000

Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    I'm confused as to what you're asking. Do you mean can you use your airport as a kind of wireless range extender? I don't think so...

What Apple does let you do is "Internet Sharing". But it can't take an airport signal and re-transmit it. What it can do is share a wired connection by transmitting it over Airport. Or take a *wireless* connection and share it over ethernet.

I do the latter plenty of times, believe it or not. Why would I ever want to take a wireless connection and share it over ethernet, you might ask? The reason is because my work computer has wireless disabled, and the only router I have is an Airport Express which has no ethernet output ports. So what I do is enable internet sharing on my MacBook, and connect my work computer to my MacBook with ethernet. Presto - I now can use my work computer from my bedroom even though the cable modem and Airport Express are in the living room.