Sharing wireless internet with a PC laptop?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mmoin, Feb 10, 2005.

1. mmoin macrumors regular

This is a fairly odd question, but I thought you guys could help. A friend of mine has a windows laptop running XP and a wireless card, I have a PB G4 w/AP Extreme. There's wireless access in our classroom, but the reception on my laptop is so weak that I can't connect, however he can. Is there any way to set it up (on his computer or mine) so that I can access the internet through his computer? Thanks.

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

There are plenty of ways to do it but XP always ends up being quite fickle about setting it up and last time I tried it I just gave up on it.

Anyway try a guide like http://www.homenethelp.com/connection-sharing.asp
    or just google for others on "Xp wireless internet sharing".

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

While going through the excercise of internet sharing is good, you might want to investigate why your reception is so weak compared to your buddy's PC. Maybe your antenna has come loose?

4. mmoin thread starter macrumors regular

I tried taking out the battery and pressing firmly against the sides of the compartment (to try to push the antenna back into place if it had been dislodged) but it didn't make a difference. I'm sort of resigned to the face that PB reception is pretty weak.