Sharity+Airport=Nasty

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AlphaTech, May 18, 2002.

?

Sharity....

1. good?

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. bad?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. butt ugly (and not for me)?

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Earlier this week I downloaded and installed Sharity on my brand new TiBook (800MHz). Within a day or so, I was having issues with connecting to my new base station and staying online. I then disabled Sharity (not as easy as it could be, but not as nasty as it could be either) and was still having issues. I did a search and found one file inside the library folder, which I then deleted. Since then (earlier today) my airport connection has been stable again.

An example of how shaky it was with that file still there... I would come online (my normal routine), open up mail, ie, icq and fire. After about 10-30 minutes, mail wouldn't be able to get to my mailbox (from my ISP), and then icq would drop off. During that time, if I was trying to compose a post, I would have to save it as a text file, since I wouldn't be able to post it. I would be forced to reboot the computer in order to get back online. The system would then be able to get to my base station (which was online all that time, hours and hours of online time).

Just wondering if anyone else using Sharity, with an Airport card, has similar issues. I don't really need to connect to the win2k peecee from my TiBook, since the peecee is for games (only). If I ever create a server, I will use something with services for Mac built in (or a free add-in). I would prefer to have a Mac server then a peecee box doing it, since I KNOW the Mac would be more stable. I might do something like that when I get my next Mac tower... and see about getting a copy of OS X server (low client count) so that any system I have on my network will be able to utilize it.

2. j763 macrumors 6502a

IMHO...

Sharity+Anything=Nasty

in jaguar it'll be useless anyway...

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

hey it worked fro me many times, so I can't complain.

but then again, im not using an Airport connection.. im hooked up to my PeeCee via an ethernet hub...

irmongoose

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I used it (when there was a PC in the house, which is gone now). I didn't use it over Airport.

I loved it. It was easy to setup and easier to use. The best thing was that it is free to students! Thank you, Sharity!

5. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Looks like the common factor for sharity not working proper is Airport. Since it came installed in my new TiBook I am using it as much as possible. It's nice to be able to bring the computer into the kitchen when I want to. Such as today, while I make up a batch of my 'world famous' pasta sauce. :D

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

yeah you sure wouldn't want to sacrifice your wonderful airport connection for sharity!

so why don't you contact the sharity people and ask them what's wrong, and if there's a way around it....

irmongoose

7. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

Can you elaborate on this? J

..and AlphaTech thanks for the update on Sharity. I might think twice before using it.

8. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

irmongoose, for me, it wouldn't be worth the effort. I was testing it to see how it would work, or not, in my situation. Now that I know the current version isn't good for my needs, I don't need to take it any further.

I will be interested to see what happens in 10.2 for connecting to shared folders on peecee's. Maybe that will happen. If it does, then I will just do that later. As it stands, I don't have much of a need for it anyway.

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

no worries here

I have yet to download it or use it... ;)