Sharpening on rMBP

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by throttlemeister, Jan 28, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

I am getting a little confused. How can I tell when I am over sharpening a photo on the rMPB? It seems I can endlessly sharpen my D800 files without ever seeing the tell-tale signs of over sharpening.

Is this because of the tiny pixels of the rMBP obscuring the small detail view, or are my D800 files so clean you can sharpen them more than previous?

2. macrumors 65816

I don't have a direct answer for you, but make sure you are sharpening at print size. In Photoshop you need to set the screen DPI correctly to get the 1:1 preview. I don't know how the retina display impacts this but it should be pretty obvious if you aren't seeing the 1:1 ratio.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can see 1:1 but I don't see any artifacts. I can see something at 3:1 but how accurate is that given that you're looking at an enlargement.

4. macrumors 65816

fitshaced

Are you using masking? If you push that up to the max, you should see something at a 1:1. Also, what program are you using?

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use LR4. There is masking, but I still have difficulty seeing anything (other than the photos get really sharp, in a good way). Maybe there is just more headroom for sharpening than I thought.

6. macrumors 65816

Looking at it at print size is a good indication but the true mark is how does the print look?

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunno, my printer is broken. :( I'm investigating a new one.

8. macrumors 65816

I've been very happy with the Canon Pixma 9000 Mk II. (I also use the 9500 Mk II depending on what type of ink you prefer.)

I wasn't looking for a home printer at the time but Canon ran huge rebate if you bought a printer and camera. Lots of people took advantage of it and dumped the printers on eBay. I got mine new and unopened for $180. Might want to keep an eye out for any future Canon offers then check eBay. :)

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a