shattered screen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kooshadeys, Feb 17, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

kooshadeys

I dropped my ipod touch 4th generation many months ago. I dropped it on concrete from about 4 feet up. The calibration of the touch screen is still fine, and the lcd doesn't appear to be damaged.

I just want to know where I can get the glass replaced? And how much $ will it cost?

Thanks

2. macrumors regular

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

kooshadeys

sage

I appreciate the reply, but do you know anybody who would charge less than that? I mean, the only problem with it appears to be broken glass. There is no way that it costs nearly $100 to replace a thin piece of glass.

Thanks

4. macrumors regular

5. macrumors 6502

On the iPod Touch 4th Gen the LCD and the digitizer are fused together. Typically it is recommended to replace the whole assembly. The problem when trying to separate the two parts is that the glue is applied to the entire surface of the LCD. Depending on how badly shattered the digitizer is this may pose more or less of a problem.

Your best chance of success is to replace the whole assembly not just the digitizer.

6. macrumors regular

Don't be fooled by the "do-it-yourself kits" that only provide the front glass replacement. Like said above. the LCD is practically part of the front front glass/digi and attempting to remove/swap it would most likely not end up in your favor.

There are many companies who will do this service for you for roughly $100 online.

Best of luck to you!

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

kooshadeys

Again, I must thank you all for your replies (Sorry if I am making "thanks" a cliche, but I really mean it :)), but I guess I am going to have to wait until I fly across a better deal, or wait until I have some money in my pockets to spend. I have a little bit of money, but that is gong to be all used to my trip defcon this summer.

I am not interested in the DIY stuff, so that's not an option.

If any more of you have any links to sites that are willing to do it in the $40-$75 range, please feel free to post them!

8. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

If you live near a major metropolitan area you can easily find a local service that does it, we have some out here (California) that do it for 60$. Keep searching online, you might find something.

9. macrumors regular

10. macrumors newbie

Repair is around $55 if you are willing to ship it out. I have a small iDevice repair business in Ohio. You can purchase the full screen assembly for about $30 but you also need adhesive strips to attach the new glass.

11. macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Check on ebay for ipod service. Many reputable people fixing crack screens for $40. You mail it in they mail it back fixed.

12. macrumors member

I repair iDevices

Hello, I run a small business out of Iowa city IA repairing apple devices. Here is my website. (currently it does not look the greatest. In the process of re-doing it)

www.theappledude.com

Send me an email through my website.

Let me know what color it is as well.

Thank you,
    Jason

13. macrumors member

I think you should try to a good servicing shop. It may cost around 40$.

14. macrumors 68020

Rocko1