Shaving... got the cream... got the razor... OUCH!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wimic, Sep 25, 2006.

1. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

so i had a bit of a mishap yesterday in the tub when i was shaving my legs. it seems that the 4 blades on my razor might be a little too much. i cut my leg and it bled pretty badly.

what kinda razor do you have? do you buy into the "50 blades + 1" razors that are coming out today? do you think they actually work better? or is it a scam?

To be honest - i found i got a closer shave with the $0.50 bic razors than i do with the venus.

is it just me?

2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sadly, the image presented by adverts are simply lies. There is no way you will ever be able to lather up your face/legs/ass crack and then with one swift stroke of your fancy razor remove all hair, with no cuts, stubble or irritation.

Just buy cheap razors and hack away.

3. drummondi macrumors newbie

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i'm a guy. i use the 5+1 blade "Fusion" blade on my face. it does a pretty good job although i get a few cuts every now and then. i chalk that up to me going too quickly or making a wrong turn somewhere.

if i used the 2-blade or 3-blade bic razors, it'd take me twice as long to shave and it wouldn't get as close as the 5-blade. but i'd take that over bleeding every time.

maybe you should try those "bladeless" shaving kits. nair is one, i forget the other.

5. calculus Guest

calculus

Is that a rhetorical question or a poll?

6. dcv macrumors G3

7. drummondi macrumors newbie

It was an invitation

8. calculus Guest

calculus

I have a subsequent engagement.

9. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I don't see a link for the video... Am I using the wrong browser?

10. drummondi macrumors newbie

Well then you go can go to it after.......considering it is a subsequent engagement not a previous engagement.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Schmick (suck on that skunk :D ) Quattro.

I shave right after my morning shower but before I eat breakfast - when you start eating breakfast the blood flow in your face increases and if by chance you cut yourself you bleed more. I have rarely ever cut myself but I'm very careful, for some reason my face bleeds like crazy from a razor cut but I don't bruise easily.

Never, ever shave against the grain. Keep your razors sharp and clean - a blunt razor hurts like hell because it pulls the hair out instead of cutting it.

12. calculus Guest

calculus

It's a subsequent engagement in the sense that I didn't know I had it until I got your invitation! It is however concurrent with the shaving party, whatever time it is.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Chundles, you're a veritable mine of interesting facts.

It's Schick, by the way. RTFP.

14. Attonine macrumors 6502a

I have absolutely no idea what the 5+1 fusion blades are. However, I would like to recommend http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/ for all your "grooming" needs.

Currenlty I use a gillette mach 3, large badger hair brush with sandlewood "flavour" shaving soap in a wooden bowl. And - of course - the alum block for the frequent "accidents".

I cannot recommend the badger brush and soap enough. I bought some for some collegues at work. One of whom reported that he often found himself going for a shave simply because it felt so good!

15. drummondi macrumors newbie

I shall change the time to suit your hectic schedule.

Most flexible.

Either way you have commited now. I am very much looking forward to my baboon like hairless crevice.

16. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Against the grain? Like an upwards direction? I do that all the time. But then again i shave in the shower with just some body wash on my face. It's WAY better than using cream outside of the extra humid and wet climate that a hot shower brings. Also the constant hot water on yer face helps you from bleeding too much when you get those occasional cuts. By the time you get out, either your cut is either healed or your just pussing a little. Everytime I did cream I bled all the time and would not stop. Now that I shave in the shower, I don't have those problems anymore. woot. Try it!

Oh yeah and it also save you a few minutes. Really works cuz i'm always late to waking.

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I have a strict morning regimen and I like to see where I'm shaving.

Oh yeah, never shave against the grain - quickest way to in-growns. You may not get them but even so it's not recommended.

I use a thin layer of menthol shaving oil followed by top notch shaving cream and hot, hooottt water.

18. wimic thread starter macrumors regular

wimic

i've tried that stuff and it hurts!! left me with really irritated skin.

19. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Some good shaving tips, well here is another...

Wash your face with an exfoliating face wash. Not every day, but a couple of times a week. And especially if you haven't shaved for a couple of days.

An exfoliating face wash cleans out the pours -- which can reduce cuts. Cuts are caused by litle bits of 'gunk' getting between you and the blade, the face wash removes the 'gunk'.

And face wash also helps your whiskers expand and become more supple -- which makes them easier to cut.

I very very very rarely cut myself shaving and I was with a face scrub every other day, If I do on that very very very rare occasion cut myself it is because the razor is blunt or I an shaving way tooooo fast.

And oh, what is with all those razors with quadrillion blades? Is there a need for 3,4 or 5 blades? It's like sneakers -- all the crap that goes into them to up the price to $150 -- no need -- and the same goes for razors

20. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I usually use an electric razor, but when I do use a blade, it's a Gillette Sensor. Easily the best blade I've used.

21. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

it took a second for it to register that you're not, in fact, a guy.

"dude, you're shaving your legs? WTF?" :D

haven't had my caffeine yet...

22. wimic thread starter macrumors regular

wimic

hahaha :) just had a good chuckle at that.

that's another thing... i think there's nothing odder than a man with no hair on his legs (whether it be because he shaves it or because it's just non-existant).

one of my friends is 27 y/o and he has virtually NO hair on his body... at least what i can see from a platonic point of view lol... i find it odd. perhaps i'm crazy.

23. vniow macrumors G4

I don't use gel or cream when I do my legs and they come out pretty smooth, no stubble for the first couple days or so. Don't even need lotion most of the time. Doesn't hurt that I don't have that much to begin with but yeah, its possible.

I'm using a regular Mach 3 Turbo BTW, I tried all that Venus stuff but its too expensive and the razor is too big to get into smaller areas.

24. bartelby macrumors Core

I use an electric shaver to shave my face
    I haven't been able to wet shave since I was about 17. My stubble is way too coarse, razors just yank it out!!

25. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Personally, i think that waxing gives a better feeling. It doesnt leave any stubble and, if you get used to it, it is apparently painless. (OK i dont know as i am a guy and dont have any experience with this).