Shazam for iOS Can Now Add Songs to Apple Music Playlists

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 24, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Popular music discovery app Shazam has been updated to version 9.4.1, gaining the ability to add songs to an Apple Music playlist. With the new version of the app, Shazam can connect to Apple Music and add songs that are discovered right to an Apple Music playlist without leaving the Shazam app.

For those unfamiliar with Shazam, it is a popular app that is able to identify music that is playing, offering up song titles, music videos, and more.

[​IMG]

The new feature requires iOS 9.3, as the update enabled the ability for third-party apps to access Apple Music playlists. To use the feature, Shazam will need to be given permission to access and connect to Apple Music through the settings section of the app.

Once authorized, a song recognized by Shazam can be added to a playlist by tapping the "+" symbol in the upper right of the app. Songs can also be played in Apple Music, used to start a radio station, or opened in iTunes. Songs added to Apple Music are listed under a "My Shazam Tracks" playlist. Today's update also gives Apple Music subscribers the ability to listen to a song in full without leaving the app.
    Shazam can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Shazam for iOS Can Now Add Songs to Apple Music Playlists

2. Mr. Awesome macrumors newbie

Interesting...

Maybe in the next update an 'Open in Apple Music' button as well?
    After all... Apple claims to have every song ever recorded on Apple Music.

3. joshwenke macrumors regular

joshwenke

But does it work with Siri's built-in Shazam?

4. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

There's an option to listen to content directly in Apple Music, which opens the Apple Music app. Not sure what happens if it's something not in the Apple Music catalog.

5. Keane16 macrumors 6502a

Keane16

I'm certain they don't claim that.

6. RDeckard macrumors regular

No, they don't. Apple claims to "offer access to over 30 million songs" - which (I'll say with extremely high confidence) does NOT include all songs ever recorded.

7. Opieap13 macrumors newbie

What about the Pro version?

8. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

Nope. I just tried this and couldn't find it. Apparently this feature is not currently in Shazam Encore.

9. Opieap13 macrumors newbie

I guess I'll have to wait till they update Encore version

10. gtkriz macrumors newbie

Because there is *a lot* of music not available in Apple Music. Spotify has music that Apple Music hasn't (and vice versa) and really, there is more music not available through Apple Music et all than there is. And since I am at it, there seems no DJ-app supported by Apple Music. But then again, they are new at this and I give them one year to fix it. I am off to Spotify on July 1st, so to say... one year without djay and pacemaker is enough.

11. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

12. Nozuka macrumors 6502a

"thanks for paying, now wait a bit longer than everyone else!" ? ;)
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2016 ---
    shazam was able to add songs to spotify for like a year now.

13. Jakexb macrumors 6502a

As much as I wasn't impressed by the initial release, I'm very impressed by the Apple Music team's dedication to tweaking and changing and adding things until it works well. It's come a long way in 9 months.

14. GrumpyMom macrumors 68040

GrumpyMom

Interesting news. I've got the free version and it became very laggy and prone to freezing or timing out both on my iPhone and my Apple Watch. I hope with all the updates I can get it to work again. I really liked Shazam when it worked. I got introduced to artists I never would have sought out on my own.

15. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

This update is pretty great. Too bad now I'm more likely to use SIRI than Shazam.

16. Nozuka macrumors 6502a

is this feature working for anyone? i allowed shazam to access my library and it created the playlist, but i can't add anything to it...

17. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

You don't have to add anything. You just do a voice search and the result will get added automatically.

18. Nozuka macrumors 6502a

does not work :(

19. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Yeah.. strange. it also didn't add to the playlist on mine. The app seems buggy. I hope it's not because I'm a free member of Shazam.