Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrWeevil

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
Doh!!! Didn't realize when I started my rant about Midomi (see page 1 of this thread), that Midomi had started charging for their app.

Nonetheless, to the user who said "Don't know why anybody would bother with both," it's cuz i sometimes get a song that's not recognized by Midomi, but it is by Shazaam, or vice-versa.

Cheers

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I didn't update yet, but when I hit the update info screen it say that I'm essentially grandfathered w/ unlimited tags since I already had the app. I was a littled skeptical - how would it know who's a legacy user and who's new. I'm reading here that some people are still getting unlimited tags but others are not, so what is the story?

In particular... how does it know if (like me) you got a new device (on warranty or whatever)? I haven’t tested yet, since 5 tags is more than I normally use, but I’m curious. I hope I haven’t lost unlimited daily tagging.

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
In particular... how does it know if (like me) you got a new device (on warranty or whatever)? I haven’t tested yet, since 5 tags is more than I normally use, but I’m curious. I hope I haven’t lost unlimited daily tagging.

My guess is that it checks with your iTunes account. It should know when you first bought the app (before the launch of the new app) and it should still know this if you switch your device with a new one.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Ok I finally decided to upgrade and it is limiting me to 5 tags per month.

Don't upgrade. I upgraded on my phone so all I have to do is delete it and then resync the old version back on.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Ok I finally decided to upgrade and it is limiting me to 5 tags per month.

Don't upgrade. I upgraded on my phone so all I have to do is delete it and then resync the old version back on.

Month? I thought it was per day! In either case, it sucks if they can’t properly tell who had the unlimited version already. (You’re not jailbroken are you?)

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
NY Times gives a bit of a knock to Shazaam:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/19/technology/personaltech/19smart.html

They have this coming for this update. Paid version with ads. The free version I had for a year seems to have been gimped. It strikes me as pure arrogance on their part considering that it's the slowest of the three apps when tested by the Times.

I'm going to start to try Midomi. I'm lucky to have picked up both when they were free. The Times says it's better and there will be further updates coming that will supposedly widen the gap even further.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.