she stopped listening to music

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Feb 25, 2005.

1. indifference macrumors regular

I met a girl that stopped listening to music. She went into study music and math. Do you know why she would give it up? It seems to me that maybe she had something dramatic happen to her that involved music. People that go into the study of music and math, they, want to listen and love and study it forever. How would she stop loving music for over eight years?

2. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

3. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I 2nd that.

My only guess is she may be surffering from burn out. Studing something in dept can cause you start disliking it because of burn out. For example I am starting to really dislike math right now which is not a good thing since I am an engineering major. I know I am starting to suffer from burn out simple because I been doing high end math since last spring did it over the summer then the fall and now I am taking more. Plus I am taking 6 hours of math right now. It fun that I am seeing a real using for Cal and how it is used in the real world but I just growing rather tired of it. Currently I am taking DefQ and Stats 3350 (both of which required already going though Cal III) I dont really count Cal I as a hard math class perosnly I think it was pretty easy but the other required more work and though. Either way I am starting to suffer burn out and I need a break from it. She may of just started to suffer the same thing with music plan and simple burn out.

4. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

I have not run into her, but the thing that I found is that usually when people stope they have lossed something close involved in music.

5. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

maybe she lost something close involved in music?

Why don't you "run into her" and ask her.

Where should this thread go from here? we could discuss it till the cows come home and we still won't know for sure why she stopped listening to music.

maybe she's gone deaf. :rolleyes:

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I can't even imagine being without music. It is such a comforting pastime. Also a great way to praise and talk to God.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

She told me that the Boston Philharmonic tried to kill her!! The entire orchestra! Stabbed by reeds and resinated bows! Eeks! As she was scampering down the street, she ran into former-glam-band-reunited-to-pay-for-their-double-wide, Ratt. And they tried to kill her by playing for her! Oh Noes! Bleeding from the ears, she was running terrified from Ratt and the Boston Philharmonic, she was tackled by the mutant love-child of Billy Joel and Elton John. All women love BJEJ! But noes! Not hers! Luckily, she was armed with a bottle of bourbon, brownest of the brown liquors, and she threw it at the BJEJ. BJEJ took the bait (as it's a raging alcoholic), and so did Ratt, since they are too poor to afford bourbon and must huff paint fumes. Not latex, oil based. Sans lead, which is too bad, since lead paint is deadly AND delicious. I like fried chicken. And the fried chicken and I lived happily ever after. Then end. Fin.

8. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Being a magician, I experience no wonder or awe at watching someone else do magic tricks, irregardless if I know how they did it or not. Instead I critique performance and ability.

I imagine studying music would do the same thing. It gets to the point where all you can hear is technique, rhythm, melody, and harmony, but not the emotion and soul of the music.

9. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

i wonder what does she do when does listen to some music? like in an elevator or a passing car with a loud stereo system :D , weird, ive never heard of any one suddenly stop listening to music. a lot of the times you can tell what kind of person some people are by the music they listen to.

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Buy her an iPod!! :rolleyes:

Come on, indiff... was that one of your 2 girls you live with, talk to her...

Gotta *likke* these threads... :rolleyes:

I stay around to see if mymemory or swanny answer to this ... :)

Sorry for being a bad*ss, but some topics are under the minimum level you can expect for a thread... IMO.

Once, twice... ok, but always??

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Currently banned.. so no such hope. :)

12. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    haha i think indifference is making up for mymemorys absence

anyway i couldnt live without music well i could but it would be boring

13. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I can imagine, some girls from MR must be missing him :D
    ;)

Latin lover !!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, someone has to do the job...

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

...or its just something better to listen to than your siblings....

Wondered why it was so much quieter in here. Less threads that end up flying into the wasteland.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

One thing that many people might be thinking as well:

Same man.

Different persona.

16. Baron58 macrumors 6502

regardful?

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

As much as I hate to say it, indifference makes more "sense" then mymemory. And that's a scary, scary thing..

18. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

You'd imagine wrong :p ;) :D

You just learn to appreciate musicianship a little more. I'm not too forgiving of people who can't play well, but in general, my musical training (piano, conducting, orchestration) made me more inclined to go find out what else there is out there. Music is very much a language - understanding the vocabulary doesn't preclude enjoyment of what others have to say :)

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Since no one posted this yet, but surely you all thought it..

Maybe she just TOLD you that she stopped listening to music.
    Maybe she just said it to make you go away and stop asking her non-stop questions?